Is 55 minutes too long for a vinyl record?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am interested in buying 16 Biggest Hits by Johnny Cash, however it is listed as being a single record of 54 mins and 51 secs in length. Is this too long and will it sound bad?

John Duncan

I remember Geddy Lee talking about Hold Your Fire (fifty minutes long) when it came out, and saying that that was the very limit of what they could get on an album and still have it sound good*...

*Rush jokes start here...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I remember Geddy Lee talking about Hold Your Fire (fifty minutes long) when it came out, and saying that that was the very limit of what they could get on an album and still have it sound good*...

Someone bought me Rush's greatest hits CD for Christmas (for a very tenuous Pool team related reason). Despite my background in Rock and Metal I have to say, it's not great. I'm trying hard to like it but his voice is irritating (and apes Robert Plant at times). I haven't been able to listen to it at a decent volume yet though, perhaps that will help.

John Duncan

Depends which greatest hits I suppose. And yes he aped RP for the first four or so albums (which I don't like much). It lowers after that. A Farewell to Kings, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals are worth a listen on Spotify if you're interested in their best work.

Alternatively, watch Beyond the Lighted Stage, which I found much more interesting than your average rockumentary.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply, I have never heard of Geddy Lee before but I suspect he is right. They have probably compressed the sound a lot to fit it onto one record. That is a shame because I would have thought that after Johnny Cash's death they would of released an Elvis at Sun Kevan Budd style compilation onto vinyl. Maybe one day...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I remember Geddy Lee talking about Hold Your Fire (fifty minutes long) when it came out, and saying that that was the very limit of what they could get on an album and still have it sound good*...

Slightly delayed, but the nearest I've been to a Rush record since the 80's is this mention on Pavement's song, Stereo. Always made me smile.

"What about the voice of Geddy Lee
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
(I know him and he does!)

And you're my fact-checkin' cuz
Aww...)"

First track on Brighten The Corners (1991?)

A house mate at Uni was a Rush obsessive (a Civil Engineer. Aren't they always?), and he'd try to convince me of their genius. To little avail with all the long 2112-era stuff, but I always quite liked the poppy, Grace Under Pressure stuff. And one I seem to remember that was lyrically about it being sadder to have lost something than to never even have known it. What's that one called, JD?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Charlie Jefferson:And one I seem to remember that was lyrically about it being sadder to have lost something than to never even have known it. What's that one called, JD?

Losing It from Signals. I wrote about it in my Higher English...

Thanks, I'm going to re-acquaint myself with it right now, if Spotify will allow.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again. Somehow at first I didn't see your direct link.

Forgot it was so swathed in synths and violin.

I'm on a roll, now for Grace Under Pressure to fully relive that Lancaster University vibe circa 1984.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Ryan Lee:I am interested in buying 16 Biggest Hits by Johnny Cash, however it is listed as being a single record of 54 mins and 51 secs in length. Is this too long and will it sound bad?

Probably. Is it the 180 gram vinyl i see when googling?

Should be ok, but probably a little quiet.

You might be better off looking around charity shops, car boots or ebay for 2nd hand original albums with less tracks.

Saying that, it is Johnny Cash, which are very simply produced recordings

T

the record spot

Genesis - Duke was around 50 minutes and side one was nearer 28 alone I think. Need to check, but it was over the 50 for sure.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Genesis - Duke was around 50 minutes and side one was nearer 28 alone I think. Need to check, but it was over the 50 for sure.

Can't confirm (in attic with rest of vinyl SOB!!) but do recall on buying this (on original release) that it was long!!!!

Charlie Jefferson:JohnDuncan:Charlie Jefferson:And one I seem to remember that was lyrically about it being sadder to have lost something than to never even have known it. What's that one called, JD? Losing It from Signals. I wrote about it in my Higher English... Thanks, I'm going to re-acquaint myself with it right now, if Spotify will allow.

My cousin is huge *Giddy Flee* and Rush fan - couldn't see the appeal.

Back to original topic. I have a load of 10" singles, albeit not 50 mins long, and compared to 7" the sound quality lacked clarity.

*Sorry JD, it just rolled off my keyboard, so to speak*.

A

Anonymous

Mastering engineers recommend an optimum time of 16-18 minutes per side for a 12" at 33 1/3 and a maximum of 24 minutes. After that it will compromise on levels and/or equalisation. But for some records such as ones that are generally quiet or bass shy you can get away with a bit more.

A

Anonymous

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:
Ryan Lee:I am interested in buying 16 Biggest Hits by Johnny Cash, however it is listed as being a single record of 54 mins and 51 secs in length. Is this too long and will it sound bad?

You might be better off looking around charity shops, car boots or ebay for 2nd hand original albums with less tracks.

It is listed on Amazon as being the Music On Vinyl edition but I suspect it is actually the Sony Legacy edition. Both are 180 gram. Does anyone have experience of either of these labels?

As for second hand records I don't buy them anymore because even if they look good they usually sound a bit flat or distorted, but I do have high standards.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Go the whole hog, Charlie - A Farewell to Kings through to Hold Your Fire back to back...

Okay, I'll give it an (edited) go, if you blast through Sufjan Stevens' back cat, let's say from Seven Swans up to The Age Of Adz.

John Duncan

Charlie Jefferson:JohnDuncan:Go the whole hog, Charlie - A Farewell to Kings through to Hold Your Fire back to back...

Okay, I'll give it an (edited) go, if you blast through Sufjan Stevens' back cat, let's say from Seven Swans up to The Age Of Adz.

Deal*

*nnnggghhh

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Ryan Lee:BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW:

It is listed on Amazon as being the Music On Vinyl edition but I suspect it is actually the Sony Legacy edition. Both are 180 gram. Does anyone have experience of either of these labels?

As for second hand records I don't buy them anymore because even if they look good they usually sound a bit flat or distorted, but I do have high standards.

I have the Music on Vinyl - Jeff Buckley - 'Grace' and it's one of the best vinyl pressings that i've heard.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Charlie Jefferson:JohnDuncan:Go the whole hog, Charlie - A Farewell to Kings through to Hold Your Fire back to back...

Deal*

*nnnggghhh

Okay, so I'm three days in to my Rush-a-thon. To some not inconsiderable consternation from work colleagues and my wife-to-be, all is going swimmingly: I've enjoyed and re-listened to Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres & Permanent Waves.

The better known tracks, Xanadu, Closer to The Heart, Spirit of Radio and Jacob's Ladder were fairly familiar and sound great. Spotify-ed, when at home through the DAC, it sounds quite dazzling. It didn't take me long to conquer what I thought would be an aversion to Geddy Lee's pitch. As for the music, it's by turns, preposterous and exhilarating. I feel a Damascene-conversion a-coming. Who needs Dylan & Costello when you've got Neil Peart!

The first side of Hemispheres may require a few more minor lifetimes to crack,though.

Onwards. . .

A

Anonymous

Anderson Brufford wakeman Howe is 59mins on vinyl which I think is supposed to be one of the longest (running time wise). I think Hysteria by Def Lepard is also a long long player.

As for Rush I think it all went a bit sour when they signed to Atlantic and released Presto. I must admit I do like Roll The Bones. Moving Pictures is my fave album followed by Permanent Waves. I aslo think Time Stand Still is a great pop rock record and deserved some chart success.

If people can't get into Rush because of Geddy Lee's voice do also dislike Yes and Coheed And Cambria?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:

Anderson Brufford wakeman Howe is 59mins on vinyl which I think is supposed to be one of the longest (running time wise). I think Hysteria by Def Lepard is also a long long player.

As for Rush I think it all went a bit sour when they signed to Atlantic and released Presto. I must admit I do like Roll The Bones. Moving Pictures is my fave album followed by Permanent Waves. I aslo think Time Stand Still is a great pop rock record and deserved some chart success.

If people can't get into Rush because of Geddy Lee's voice do also dislike Yes and Coheed And Cambria?

Which Coheed and Cambria (Who I had never heard of) tracks or album should I listen to first off Spotify cos I'm very good at giving albums the big E after 2 or 3 tracks if i don't like what i'm hearing.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD is 55m 14s long and the vinyl must only be about 3 mins shorter. There is nothing wrong with the quality on that.
I would like to get a « speed re-mastered copy of this though

A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles:NSYGrinner:

Which Coheed and Cambria (Who I had never heard of) tracks or album should I listen to first off Spotify cos I'm very good at giving albums the big E after 2 or 3 tracks if i don't like what i'm hearing.

I got into them though Good Morning I'm Burning Star IV. It usually is the album with a black cover and a big red IV under Coheed and Cambria. Much like this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Apollo-Burning-Star-One/dp/B000AS1H9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294615895&sr=8-1

If the link is stillat £2.99 what have you to lose?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts