Iron Man

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Watched this last night. Bluray 2 disc version from Asda for £17. Reasonably entertaining.

I felt there wasn't enough of Iron Man actually doing something....with a fairly short fight sequence at the end and a single foray into Afganistan. Felt more like postioning for a sequel rather than a fully fledged film in it's own right (bit harsh maybe).

Robert Downy Junior's mumbly dialog was difficult to hear/understand at times. However, he made a believable enough billionaire......but not nerdy enough to be a top engineer/inventor.

A

Anonymous

I had the opposite reservations b4 seeing the movie, in that the Marvel story might get concentrated in the race to get to the action. Fortunately, the story was not abridged and will build over the next couple of films, so that , by the time the Avengers comes around all the characters will be developed.

I'm glad that Marvel created their own Film Co. and didn't allow Hollywood to bastardize their work.

A

Anonymous

I'd agree that the most impressive Iron Man sequences were the flights rather than the fights, but having watched the slightly longer cut of the final fight scene, I think the final cut was punchier for its brevity.

Among the copious notes I made before doing my review was one that expressed relief that the film was willing to take its time, find a point to each scene and not shamefacedly gloss over its comicbook roots.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Agreed.

Iron Man is a great film, especially when you consider some of the Superhero movies made in recent years. (Yes 'Hulk'.....I'm looking at you!)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Watched this last night. Bluray 2 disc version from Asda for £17. Reasonably entertaining. I felt there wasn't enough of Iron Man actually doing something....with a fairly short fight sequence at the end and a single foray into Afganistan. Felt more like postioning for a sequel rather than a fully fledged film in it's own right (bit harsh maybe).

That's what I liked about it! It's an origin story (as opposed to Incredible Hulk, which wasn't really, sort of was, in the opening credits, but wasn't really, honest guv), so I'm glad it gave plenty of time to the origin.

Robert Downy Junior's mumbly dialog was difficult to hear/understand at times.

really? I haven't seen the DVD, I want to go Blu-Ray, which means new TV (dammit...), so I'm not buying any DVDs at the moment, but I don't remember it being an issue in the cinema, far from it, RDJ is the best thing in the film. Well, he is the film really, it wouldn't have worked with anyone else. that's why I'm quite glad they gave him so much screen-time.

However, he made a believable enough billionaire......but not nerdy enough to be a top engineer/inventor.

It's true to the comic then! Tony Stark, in common with all males that inhabit comicbook world, is about 6' 5", built like Ah-nuld AND an engineering genius!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:Agreed. Iron Man is a great film, especially when you consider some of the Superhero movies made in recent years. (Yes 'Hulk'.....I'm looking at you!)

The first Hulk or the last one? Ang Lee's Hulk is (imo) brilliant, at least until the climax, which just didn't work (The Absorbing Man is a terrible idea though, his power makes him literally unstoppable, which Marvel realised after a while and had to invent some macguffin that he couldn't absorb so they could keep him prisoner). I love the comic-style editing, Eric Bana under-played the role perfectly (this is a guy who CANNOT allow himself to get emotional, what did you expect, Olivier-style emoting?) and I just love the whole idea of Ang Lee doing a super-hero movie! Ang Lee, of all people, how can you not like that?

What really annoyed me was seeing Liv Tyler laughing about Hulk being able to jump for miles, but that's EXACTLY what Hulk does in the comics! Other than the origin part Ang Lee was completely faithful to the comic book depiction of Hulk (with the exception of not having him talk, which is fine), which I was very happy about.

The Incredible Hulk was an odd hybrid of the TV show and the comic, I thought it worked quite well though but I'd like that have seen more of Ed Norton (as I suspect he would have as well!), perhaps there'll be a "non-director's" cut? Super-hero films don't have to be all action, a little bit of character helps no end, as Spider-Man and Iron Man have shown.

Neither Hulk films really convinced with Hulk's face though, I can't put my finger on why in either case however.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I must admit I was expecting a little bit more action from Iron Man but was still an enjoyable movie. Having heard good reviews of the new Hulk I have now ordered this from Play.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
As I have now seen Hulk on Blu Ray I found the Picture more stunning, better sound projection and more action than Iron man, plus a novel twist at the end where Mr Stark makes an appearance. Roll on the next sequel:

Hulk versus Iron Man.

A

Anonymous

shado:
, plus a novel twist at the end where Mr Stark makes an appearance. Roll on the next sequel:

Hulk versus Iron Man.

Give it a while and al the Marvel films (Hulk, IM, Capt America etc) will merge so hat the Avengers will include most of the main heroes.

A schoolboys dream !
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts