iRiver opinions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Taking the plunge and looking for a decent mp3 player, preferably for around £120, and 4Gb will probably do me. I've read through my recent back issues of What Hi-Fi for the usual reliable advice, and combined that research with 'net trawls to narrow down my list. In my experience most people's opinion of what sounds good isn't that reliable. I don't want anything too bright sounding, it'll only grate on my hearing very quickly, and a decent bass sound would be handy, for all this heavy stuff I listen to. While it must sound good with music I also expect to be listening to podcasts, and most likely will want to get the sound through the car stereo in some way.

So far I've scrubbed

IPod Nano - looking for something different to everybody else

Sony NWA806 - granted they look good and no doubt sound good but I haven't read one good comment on the software, especially as it seems to be a requirement.

Sansa e280 - some great reviews on-line but you didn't rate the sound much

So I'd pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Samsung YP-K3.

Then I started seeing very positive reviews for the latest iRiver products over on advancedmp3players.co.uk, in particular the X20 and the Clix2. They seem to have the exclusive rights to sell this latter product so I'm not sure their reviews are fully representative.

Have the What hi-Fi any experience with the latest iRiver range? I don't see any reviews in the more recent issues.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated on this or any other player I may have missed, as unlike other equipment it's very difficult to try before you buy with mp3 players.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We used to review quite a lot of iRiver products, but we haven't had any from them for a while and have had trouble sourcing review samples. The last models we tested were the iRiver H10 (£179), iRiver H10 Jr (£99) and iRiver T30 (£100) back in 2006, all of which got 3 stars, and the 4-star iRiver u10 (£139), but haven't heard either the X20 or Clix2 I'm afraid.

You're right about the Sony software being a bit of a pain, but have to say (being an Apple fan!) that I'd still go for the nano. Yes, I know everyone's got one, but it's still one of the best sounding players around.

Other alternatives: the Creative Zen V Plus (4GB/£110), LG Touch Me FM37 (4GB) £130, and the Samsung you've mentioned. All got 5 stars and are excellent.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Also a brand-new Samsung range just about to launch - the P2 series. Will be in shops in September, replaces existing range. Has big screen like the LGFM37. We've got the first review sample in and should be testing it for the issue out 20th September.

Look out for a news story here online any minute.....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info so far. The Creative Zen was under consideration until I tried out the display copy in Currys, the joystick control is too small for my big thumbs.

I haven't seen the LG one anywhere about over here in Northern Ireland but Currys have the Samsung K3 4Gb for £91 on their website, so it's very tempting. And then there's the YP-T9 to consider, although it's a bit pricier.

I might hold off for now with that new range on the horizon.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone out there purchased the iRiver Clix2 or has WHFS&V recently reviewed this model and I missed it?. I was looking for something other than the iPod and this 'looked' seriously good.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
iRiver has got a whole new management team and a change of look/direction. We met up with them at CES, and some of the new stuff coming up looks very good indeed - news story to follow very soon up here, followed by some reviews once the products are more widely available.

Sorry can't be more helpful than that at the moment - I could tell you informally how its new entry-level player sounds, as I picked one up in the US. Sadly, it's packed in the luggage that i'm still waiting for a day and a half on....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare. Hope luggage and informal report follow soon. It's nice to know it doesn't have to be an iPod to satisfy both sound and style.

TRENDING THREADS