iPODS MUCH OF A MUCHNESS?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi my first post,

I am a devoted Arcam owner but have long seen the drag of constantly changing cd's,records etc when in that exalted musical state that seems better enjoyed in,shall we say,a prostrate condition,therefore the i pod and dock seems like a gift from the gods of audio and with this in mind took a trip to John Lewis's store today to sample the merchandise.

Question,is ther a difference in sonic quality between the Apple Touch and the Apple Classic?I thought the Classic offered a more authentic audio experience due to it's dearth of features compared to the touch but Id appreciate users experience.Also I had the chance to compare the B&W Zeppelin alongside Arcams new Cube and although I imagine there would be much to be done in terms of tweaking the respective devices controls,I have to say the Zeppelins sound floated my boat and then some.The Arcams sound seemed to contained but I appreciate the department store dynamic does'nt do justice to sound demos.Enough waffle then hope to hear some experiences relating to the aforementioned?

A

Anonymous

My understanding is that audio quality between all the iPods is identical. No difference in quality of connectors, or DA's for example. All down to the 'bits' and cabling.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I've owned an earlier version of the classic and the last 2 versions of the nano. Personally, I've not noticed any difference. To my ears, they all sound very good when using good quality ear buds. However, I've heard people say that they do sound different and some people even gripe about differences within the same model, but with different generations.

If I were to guess, I'd agree with you that the classic would be the hifi winner. It's got more room than the nano and it's got way less going on than a touch model so you would think the audio section would be first rate.

The main advantage of the classic is that you have space for higher res files. You can use lossless files and still fit hundreds of CDs onto it.

As for the quality of the signal produced, I'd be surprised if the small nuanced differences between the two models would be very noticable on an iPod dock, even one as good as the zep.

A

Anonymous

The advantage of the Touch is that you download many audio apps to use. I have 'Tune in Radio' which gives me internet radio on my Ipod dock but you can also download various apps that allow you to use it as a remote control or even a crude SPL metre. The only advantage of the Classic that I can see is the storage size.

manicm

I will state the following categorically from my own experience with these iPods:

If you'll connect the Classic via analogue avoid it like the plague. It's slow and sounds awful. I'm not sure if the Zeppelin and rCube bypass the iPod's internal DAC, but I suspect they do, in which case the Classic will be fine.

But for for long term value, and if you can plump up, I absolutely suggest you save up for Christmas and get the Touch. It sounds better and is a great gadget as well.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
My iPhone sounds better than my 5 gen classic (to my ears anyway). I would go for the touch, if you want to you could go for premium spotify and get the app!! Or you have other options like last fm. You could also get airfoil speakers and stream any content from your pc.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I have both,the Touch and the Classic(US version) and IMO the Touch sounds significantly better than the Classic. The US models without volume cap sound even better.

A

Anonymous

Thus the crApple zombification programme continued apace.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts