iPod versus my Hi-Fi

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The recent arrival of a son & heir - six weeks old and full of life - has necessitated more headphone listening. A small price to pay for such wonderment. (No more gushing, I promise!). Just this very evening I have been giving the new Zep compilation* a blast through my Sennheiser 600's connected to my Arcam A85 amp's headphone socket. Changing listening mode for when I walked the dog, to PX100 headphones into my iPod, I was surprised to notice how little difference there was in what I was hearing. So, I'd like to know how can I improve my hi-fi headphone listening. I've read with great interest recent-ish postings about heaphone amps and headphones; any advice anyone? * fantastic remastering job. I was giddy with the sheer thrill of familiar tracks heard anew. Particularly when I rakishly slung the 'phones to one side for 10 minutes and let Achilles Last Stand resound untethered through the whole of my system.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]I've read with great interest recent-ish postings about heaphone amps and
headphones; any advice anyone?[/quote]

My experienced with cans.

The PX100 that you have is one of the best headphone for Ipod, the better can will show up format compression. It's seem that Sennheiser build the PX100 with Ipod in mind.

The best I have heard was Grado RS1, they sound like I have a pair of floorstand Dali attached to my ears. I am currently using SR325i with MF X-can amp and the sound is not far off my full system.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="Charlie Jefferson"]I've read with great interest recent-ish postings about heaphone amps and
headphones; any advice anyone?[/quote]

My experienced with cans.

The PX100 that you have is one of the best headphone for Ipod, the better can will show up format compression. It's seem that Sennheiser build the PX100 with Ipod in mind.

The best I have heard was Grado RS1, they sound like I have a pair of floorstand Dali attached to my ears. I am currently using SR325i with MF X-can amp and the sound is not far off my full system.
[/quote]
Thanks for that, Thiaman.

So I take it you would recommend a dedicated headphone amp? I haven't any experience of using one but my budget, were I to go down that route would be around £300.

Any further ideas?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts