iPod Dock with DAB - Yamaha vs Roberts + Other Options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All, A year or so ago I invested in a Bose Sound Dock and have been quite happy with the unit. I only use it in my office (Medium sized office, about 36m2) and at low - medium levels.

I now have an urge to have the ability to listen to DAB+ and for a few months have been trying to convince myself I do not need radio in my office but I keep coming back to it so I have decided to bite the bullet.

I would very much like to purchase a B&W Zeppelin if only it had DAB+. So I am leaning towards either a Roberts Sound 53 or a Yamaha MCR-040, both have the essential iPhone Capability and also DAB+.

I listen to mainly pop, pop rock and alternative. I appreciate quality sound (I have Dynaudio in my car and SVS/Yamaha Amp in my Theatre).

Out of these two which is the nicest sounding? Also, is there another model/brand I should be looking at? Budget is not really a concern but I am after value for money.

Your assistance is appreciated! :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have checked the 'overviews' on the Yamaha websites for UK and Australia. The MCR-040 for the UK market does not claim to have DAB+ (or even DAB) whereas the Australian version has DAB+ as standard.

The Roberts Sound 53 only has DAB (unless there is a DAB+ version or DAB+ module made for DAB+ regions.)

Where are you located?

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
If you have an iPhone, you could stream the radio, which would save on a new investment. If you have wifi, even better and that rules in the iPod Touch as well. Sorry if that isn't the case, but I thought it was worth mentioning! I use a free app called Tunin.FM - iCar Radio Lite.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick responses! :) I'm in Perth Australia and we have access to DAB+

I'm not too keen to be streaming audio, firstly for the quality aspect and secondly as I do not have wireless internet at my workplace I do not want to be chewing up my 3G data allowance.

More comments would be great as I am really struggling to find something that offers quality sound, iPhone compatability and DAB+

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok so my hunch about Australia was right so you will be able to get Epoz Aktimates fairly easily (and hopefully even cheaper than they are in the UK).

I suggest a Cambridge Audio 650T FM/DAB+ tuner and a pair of Epoz Aktimate Mini active speakers (made with access to Creek and Epos technology).

The Epoz speakers require no seperate amp and have the required RCA inputs for the tuner and have a built in iPod dock. There is a 5 star What Hifi review of them. (They come in white, red or black gloss finishes.)

Cambrdige Audio also make mini systems with DAB+....

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/product_reviews.php?PID=534&Title=Reviews

There is a Cambridge Audio dealer in Nedlands, Perth....

http://www.frankprowsehifi.com.au//product.php?pid=176

The same dealer is also listed as an Epoz stockist....

http://www.epoz.com.au/EPOZ%20Dealers.htm

ps The latest version of the Epoz Aktimates are compatible with iPhones according to their website.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice! Whilst they look schmick, probably a little bulky for my office I had a set of similar active speakers in my office a while back, sounded great but they were too bulky, thus they are now in my living room

Ideally I would like a unit similar sizing to my Bose system or slightly bigger

A

Anonymous

Hey on the other hand, that Cambridge One + System looks managable size wise as it is split up :)

What is the audio quality like?

A

Anonymous

Checked out pricing, the One + is probably not great value in the environment it'll be used..... $1500 AUD by the time you add the S3 speakers to the kit :/

The Yamaha in comparison is only $499 and has the same variety of sources etc

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
I think its the MCR 140 that is supposed to have DAB and DAB+ as reported on this website although others sites disagree??

A

Anonymous

I have a Vita Audio R2i unit in my kitchen. It sounds fantastic in my opinion and gets a good review from What Hi-Fi as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everybody for the replies! :)

Is the R2i iPhone compatible or does it come up with the airplane mode reminder?

At this stage I'm leaning towards either a Yamaha TSX 120 (I can get it at a steal), or a Yamaha MCR-040 as both are available locally and are iphone compatible.....

A

Anonymous

Mine works well mate and my findings are in tune with the Q&A from the Vita website listed below. I rarely get the dit-dit-dit noise.

"Both R2i and R4 will charge and control all iPhone models although as they are 'Made for iPod' compliant (rather than 'Works With iPhone' compliant) you may see a message on iPhone's display saying 'This accessory is not made to work with iPhone'! This message is to inform you that unless 'flight mode' is selected you might hear typical 'dit-dit-dit' TDMA mobile phone interference. It is worth noting that this interference usually only happens when iPhone is not receiving a 3G signal. With 3G enabled and a good 3G signal, interference between all 3G iPhone models and R2i/R4 will be negligible".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts