ipod classic and itunes on new computer....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have loaded my ipod up with about 300cd's at lossless, but that was on my dads computer.

I have now loaded itunes onto my laptop, and ripped some cd's into its library. If I just connect my ipod up to it, will it clear all my existing cd's off the ipod? I had it connected up to manually sync all my tunes from my dads comp, so will this mean that it is already on manual when I connect it up to my laptop?

Or do I have to click on the ipod name when connecting it to itunes and hit manually sync tunes, before it starts to auto sync when connected?

The last thing I want to do is lose my tunes, as it took me damn weeks to add on it!

Phil

A

Anonymous

That is absolutely rubbish!

Is that the only way...? Damn, so I am going to have to go to my dads to rip cd's!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's a measure put in by Apple designed to stop people sharing music just by plugging in their iPods to each others computers and downloading all the tracks.

I think there is some software which gets round it, but can't remember what it's called - try a Google search. Alternatively, you could copy your Dad's library from his PC to yours via an external HDD - then you can erase what's currently on your iPod, pair up with your own PC's iTunes Library and then resync all the tracks you currently have - bit of a pain but probably the best way going forward. BTW - I'm guessing that to do this is technically illegal (since your Dad bought the music, not you), but given you live in the same household and presumably have the same access to his CDs, I don't think you'll be arrested for it.

emotion-5.gif

idc

Potboyslim. My understanding is that if you manually manage the music on your ipod, it will not delet it when you connect to another PC and you can add music from the second PC. But you can't put the music already on the ipod onto the second PCs library; see here; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202.

EDIT - I have a solution, but then realsied it is an illegal method of file sharing, so sorry I deleted it!

A

Anonymous

Yes, That is all I wanted to do, was load new disks from my laptop onto my ipod, not copy the library across.

I have no real intention using my ipod as have a pretty good hifi in my bedroom, and lounge, so just want to add new cd's onto it.

I take it I hit manual manage files when connecting it up to my computer, and away I go, just like on my dads comp, apart from there will just be a few cd's I downloaded in the library?

Phil

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
potboyslim:
Hi,

I have loaded my ipod up with about 300cd's at lossless, but that was on my dads computer.

I have now loaded itunes onto my laptop, and ripped some cd's into its library. If I just connect my ipod up to it, will it clear all my existing cd's off the ipod? I had it connected up to manually sync all my tunes from my dads comp, so will this mean that it is already on manual when I connect it up to my laptop?

Or do I have to click on the ipod name when connecting it to itunes and hit manually sync tunes, before it starts to auto sync when connected?

The last thing I want to do is lose my tunes, as it took me damn weeks to add on it!

Phil

I found a workaround for this before for my girlfriend's Ipod and posted it on here. Here it is.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/157154.aspx

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
As I say, I'm pretty sure your only choice when you hook it up to your PC will be something along the lines of "This iPod is set to sync with another Library, would you like to erase and resync with this Library" - you won't have an option to manually manage the files until you agree to this, by which time any existing songs on the iPod will have gone.

However, give it a try - if I'm right, you can just click No and unplug and look at one of the other solutions, but if I'm wrong (and idc's article certainly suggests I am!), you may be able to do what you want to do.

idc

If you try and syc with another PC you get options-

Cancel

Erase and sync, the one you probably want to avoid

Transfer purchases which takes authorised music off the ipod and onto the library.

Whatever you choose, it will not just start to erase your ipod as soon as you plug it in. Whilst the wife was not looking I borrowed her ipod and tried to sync it with my laptops itunes!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts