Ipod as sole source component

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My CD player (Sugden CD Master) gave up recently. The repair costs are beyond what I consider reasonable and the cost of a decent replacement is too high, for what I think is a dying format. I already have the majority of my library ripped as Apple Lossless so that pretty much makes the decision to use an Ipod as the new core of my system.

It appears I have two choices for connecting the Ipod either an Arcam IrDock at £150 or an Onkyo ND-S1 and the Cambridge Audio DacMagic total £380. Based solely on price neither of these can compete with the Sugden but these days convenience and portability have a higher priority than absolute sound quality. The question is whether it is it worth spending more than twice the price to get the Onkyo / CA combo or will the Arcam make the Ipod into an acceptable source?

Gary

manicm

Both are great docks but since you will buy the DacMagic, get the Onkyo as it will digitally extract the files on iPod bypassing its internal DAC.

From what I've read you might get a shock of your life.

Also, if you can wait a month or so Arcam will be releasing their DAC - worth investigating, and will have a better than average USB implementation for added versatility.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I am also considering an ipod-based system. For me it will be the bedroom system but I beleive, with lossless files, digital out and a dac it can be a very good qualilty one and within very reasonable budget as well as being very compact.

I do not think it is worth buying a CD player any more. Looks like solid state memory or internet into a DAC from now on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts