iplayer and ipod touch

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I'm not quite sure where to post this query. Does anyone know if it's possible to "stream" the BBC iplayer to a tv using an ipod touch. I know you can buy component out cables for around £30, so if you set the ipod's tv out settings to on, does that automatically display on the tv whatever the ipod is showing, i.e. the iplayer?

thanks for any thoughts

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I see a few people have read this post but no-one has been able to answer. Thinking that this wasn't the best place to ask the question I managed to find the answer on apple's discussion boards. Hopefully WHF team don't mind me copying and pasting someone elses comments from that website...so here goes -

"Not a problem I'm having, but something I thought I'd share because I've not seen it posted anywhere.

I got one of the apple composite AV cables so I could watch a rental movie on my TV, and of course it worked fine.

It occured to me that the iplayer launches the iPhone's video player/ipod type thing app to display streamed video content, much the same way as the youtube application does. So if these work on on the TV, so should the iplayer.

So plugged it all in, surfed to iplayer, found something worth watchin and voila. Up it pops on the TV.

I was quite chuffed with myself, as it's something even the apple tv product can't do! So now, if I ever forget to record something on the beeb, I no longer have to watch it on my iPhone or imac, I can sit in comfort on the couch and watch.

Now the downsides. Obviously the resolution isn't amazing, but it's perfectly watchable, looks more like an old VHS recording, so adequate for just catching up on the odd missed programme. Secondly, if you use a universal dock with remote, the play/pause button won't pause playback, it in fact stops playback and launches the ipod music player app. But the volume control still works. Not a major problem, but could catch you out.

I'm thinking about getting the apple tv at some point anyway, now if the could only implement the iplayer in that, it would be fab. But even if not, I can still use the iPhone."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts