iPhone connected to amp vs dedicated hifi streamer?

Granty309

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
I recently bought an iFi hip-dac to take advantage of Apple’s move to lossless and hi res lossless through my B&W headphones. I have an Arcam neo solo combined CD player/amplifier, which has an in socket on the front. My question is probably a stupid one as I’m not technically minded at all. If I connect the dac via the headphone cable to the in socket and play it through the arcam to my Castle speakers, how will it compare to playing music through a proper hi fi streamer connected to the arcam? Should I invest in the latter and if so what would be a good (mid priced but offering hi res lossless) choice? Thank you

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'll probably get hung for this opinion but I question the validity of hi-res audio. The Nyquist Shannon theorem has yet to be disproved. That means that a sample rate of 44.1khz is sufficient to produce 20khz audio. Bit depth might affect dynamic range but 16 bit should be sufficient.
I did toy with hi-res audio. That was until I bought a 1997 Rotel DAC which can only cope with 44.1 and 48khz. It may have it's limitations but as far as audio quality is concerned it wiped the floor with my 768khz capable modern DAC.
The other factor is the quality of other components. In all honesty, is your other audio equipment of sufficient quality to differentiate between an iphone or a network streamer as the source. You have to remember we're talking about comparison of two digital sources. Not easily discernible. The differences are going to be due to jitter, electromagnetics and perhaps microphonics.
You'll find sites on the internet which will allow you access the same music in 320kbps and in lossless FLAC file. Test yourself, if you haven't already. See if you can tell the difference. If you can't , then definitely stick with the iphone for the time being. I used a reasonable pair of planar headphones and only managed 80% success. But then at age 63, I was over the moon.
Whatever you decide - enjoy the music! That's what it's all about.

Granty309

Aug 13, 2021
Visit site
I'll probably get hung for this opinion but I question the validity of hi-res audio. The Nyquist Shannon theorem has yet to be disproved. That means that a sample rate of 44.1khz is sufficient to produce 20khz audio. Bit depth might affect dynamic range but 16 bit should be sufficient.
I did toy with hi-res audio. That was until I bought a 1997 Rotel DAC which can only cope with 44.1 and 48khz. It may have it's limitations but as far as audio quality is concerned it wiped the floor with my 768khz capable modern DAC.
The other factor is the quality of other components. In all honesty, is your other audio equipment of sufficient quality to differentiate between an iphone or a network streamer as the source. You have to remember we're talking about comparison of two digital sources. Not easily discernible. The differences are going to be due to jitter, electromagnetics and perhaps microphonics.
You'll find sites on the internet which will allow you access the same music in 320kbps and in lossless FLAC file. Test yourself, if you haven't already. See if you can tell the difference. If you can't , then definitely stick with the iphone for the time being. I used a reasonable pair of planar headphones and only managed 80% success. But then at age 63, I was over the moon.
Whatever you decide - enjoy the music! That's what it's all about.
Thanks for the comment. I’ve been enjoying listening on the iPhone/hip dac/headphone set up. To my ears, it’s better than I’ve ever heard before. Hence, me wondering if I could replicate on my hifi system. Basically I was wondering if connecting the iPhone to the hifi was a nonsense idea and I guess you’re saying not necessarily. Appreciate the advice.

Tinman1952

Thanks for the comment. I’ve been enjoying listening on the iPhone/hip dac/headphone set up. To my ears, it’s better than I’ve ever heard before. Hence, me wondering if I could replicate on my hifi system. Basically I was wondering if connecting the iPhone to the hifi was a nonsense idea and I guess you’re saying not necessarily. Appreciate the advice.
Certainly not a nonsense idea. Whilst the iPhone is providing the ’digits’, it‘s the well regarded hip-DAC that is providing the sound quality. I am using an iPad mini as a source into my DAC (via USB) for Amazon Music and it sounds excellent! 👍

Reactions: Granty309

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts