Iphone battery exploded!!

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
It's all well and good the new IPhone 5 being released, but spare a thought for my old 3GS, on Saturday I discovered it had appeared to have blown it's innards (pcba) out through the case!! My initial thought it was that it couldn't handle the lack of attention, having been relegated to part time music player since I got the Iphone4 18 months ago. However, on examining the remains there appeared to be a balloon that had previously passed itself off as a battery!! Such was the force of the battery "exploding" it totally bowed the pcba and sent it upwards to case the LCD and boards to split the case wide open!!

I've googled "3GS battery exploding" and sure enough there are posts, images and you tube vids.

Even seems to happen to iPhone 4.

Granted the 3GS was out of warranty, but I'm still surprised (shocked) at the failure mode here.

I'm looking at my iphone4 & iPad with maybe less love and more tick tock

Anyone else had this issue?

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Big Aura,

I've thrown the remains in the bin, but as for photo's literally type "iphone 3gs battery exploded" into google and select images. Mine was identical to the pics you see with the LCD separed from the case. Once you crack it open fully you see the battery is like a balloon. What I don't know is how quickly it happens, ie is it a rapid/instant failure or does it happen slowly. I assume the fact I hadn't used it in a while (months) so the battery was totally discharged, added to the fact it was fairly old -coule of years, might have contributed. But I was still surprised (shocked) when I saw it. Again I'm wondering if my iPad is likely to have the same issue eventually ?? Much larger battery, assume it is the same technology??

Tonestar1

Hi Lxd,

I would go take a look in the bin and try to retreive it! I recently found out about a recall on the 1st gen nano due to a similar problem. I searched through my old gadget drawer and found a couple, the second one even had a busted screen, I've not used either in years. Registered them on the apple website. Apple sent me out a couple of padded evelopes to return. Two weeks later I had two brand new ipod nanos, welll not new as of yesterday but still two 8Gb 6th gen touch screen ones.! I would take back to the apple store to see if you can get a new phone to replace it. If not I would still hang onto it just in case of a future recall. My 3GS will be gatting safely tucked away now just in case a recall occurs!

Oh and if you have a 1st gen nano and would like a new one just clickety.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/
ipod_nano_1st_gen.jpg
Languages [*]Dansk[*]Deutsch[*]English[*]Español[*]Suomi[*]Français[*]Italiano[*]日本語[*]한국어[*]Nederlands[*]Norsk Bokmål[*]Polski[*]Portuguese Brasileiro[*]Português[*]Pусский[*]Svenska[*]简体中文[*]繁體中文[/list]
Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts