Iphone and ipod as potential gifts. some questions.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I am considering gettign one of these to my GF as a gift and there are things I do not know:

- the latest ipod touch - can it make wifi skype video calls using the front camera? if not, does it have to be face time and does it meant it is only wth those who also have face time?

- iphone 4. If I get a sim-free one (assuming they are avaialble and avaialble unlocked), will my GF be just able to put her simcard in it and use it? I relise the data part will depend on her current sim having a data plan active, so assuming it is active or can be activated, will the sim card work anyway for voice calls straight away? or will it requrie some dealing with apple or sim provider?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
cram:re Q2: Iphone4 uses a mini sim. So unless she has one of those, then no.

Ah, good point, I will have to cut it. But will it work otherwise?

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Q1: Latest ipod touch can do face time. But face time is only with other face time capable ipod touch or iphone or Macs only. I have not tried skype video calls, sorry.

Q2: some network providers simply exhange the old sim for a new micro sim for free. My other half was even given a micro-to-normal adapter in case she wanted to use her old phone. And it worked straight away (but needs to be activated at home with your itunes) So you should just ask.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! Useful info.

axman:

Q1: Latest ipod touch can do face time. But face time is only with other face time capable ipod touch or iphone or Macs only. I have not tried skype video calls, sorry.

Does anybody know abt Skype?

axman:

Q2: some network providers simply exhange the old sim for a new micro sim for free. My other half was even given a micro-to-normal adapter in case she wanted to use her old phone. And it worked straight away (but needs to be activated at home with your itunes) So you should just ask.

there is a bit of a problem with asking as the sim card is provided by her employer who I do not have contact with and involving her would ruin the surprise...

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ: - iphone 4. If I get a sim-free one (assuming they are avaialble and avaialble unlocked)

They are indeed available, but they're about £300 more expensive than a Touch.

I was thinking about an iPhone 4, but went for a Touch and an Android phone instead - best of both worlds, IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts