iPhone 5 music quality is worse

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having had all previous iphones and ipods, the current iPhone 5 is distinctly lacking in volume and bass compared to iPhone 4s and the ipod is significantly better in music quality terms.

I think the sound overall on the iPhone 5 is very average and I am using Seinnhieser IE8 earphones, so these are not the issue.

I guess the components are being selected for size and power consumption rather than quality.

D

Deleted member 2457

I'm glad I have an iPhone 4s then. :cheer:

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Joe,don't agree with you on this.I too have had iphone 4 onwards now 5 and ipad 2 onwards now 4th Gen.I use Sennheiser OMX-980's 16ohm in ear and Audio Technica ATH-ES55 34ohm Over Ears and am getting as good or even Better Results.I find it almost unbearable to have the volume up more than 70%.Way to loud for me i'm afraid.I have normal hearing btw. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Is it just me or does the new iPhone 5 look a bit long and plastically?
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

RodhasGibson said:
Gel,it's not plasticky at all,I can assure you.Made of aluminium and glass.Thats the Galaxy S3 you're thinking of :grin:

Must just be me, I have only seen it once but when I first held the 4s it felt like I was holding something really special and had a real quality feel to it. The five I didn't feel that. I will have to have another look and feel.
smiley-smile.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
RodhasGibson said:
Sorry Joe,don't agree with you on this.I too have had iphone 4 onwards now 5 and ipad 2 onwards now 4th Gen.I use Sennheiser OMX-980's 16ohm in ear and Audio Technica ATH-ES55 34ohm Over Ears and am getting as good or even Better Results.I find it almost unbearable to have the volume up more than 70%.Way to loud for me i'm afraid.I have normal hearing btw. :)

In general, I agree. I can't tell the difference in SQ between the 5 and the 4, it's certainly no worse. The volume IS limited and has a lower max. With ordinary phones (ultimate ears 600vi in my case) I listen below 50% volume, usually well below. The only time I have an issue with it is when playing a podcast through the aux input of my pure one mini radio. The iPhone 4 had no such problem so this is slightly annoying.

Gel, I was worried from photos that the 5 looked too long and might be overly light. Its dimensions look great in reality and whilst it is remarkably light its build quality and materials are first class. Still better than the competition that I've seen.

A

Anonymous

I can't say I've noticed any difference between the 4S and the 5 in terms of audio quality. And I agree about the build quality, it's a beautifully made phone, it's like a work of art :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'll probably never know. I only use AirPlay (and, occasionally, a Bluetooth speaker) so I don't think the signal finds a DAC until it gets to my Marantz M-CR603 (or my Bluetooth speaker).

Anyway, I'll find out on the 14th November.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Must just be me, I have only seen it once but when I first held the 4s it felt like I was holding something really special and had a real quality feel to it. The five I didn't feel that. I will have to have another look and feel.
smiley-smile.gif

Not just you Gel.... my daughter got hers and i had a look of course. I thought i was holding a kids toy and i would break it. It's not a phone 4 me :)

D

Deleted member 2457

v1c said:
gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

Not just you Gel.... my daughter got hers and i had a look of course. I thought i was holding a kids toy and i would break it. It's not a phone 4 me :)

Yeah that is how I felt, when I got the 4s out of the box it was like wow, I did not realise how well made and good it looked. Held the 5 it felt a bit cheap and tacky.
smiley-smile.gif

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
v1c said:
gel said:
smiley-smile.gif

Yeah that is how I felt, when I got the 4s out of the box it was like wow, I did not realise how well made and good it looked. Held the 5 it felt a bit cheap and tacky.
smiley-smile.gif

I dont think its poorly built, i think its the lightness of the phone that kind off throws you off if it had some weight to it you would proberbly feel different.

But i know what you mean with the iPhone 4, its just a shame you have to have cases / covers to protect your phone as its still a nice phone to look at and well built

A

Anonymous

You don't appreciate how robust the 4 and 4s phone is until you compare to the 5. The 5 is easy to mark up whereas he 4 series wears its scratches better and the stainless steel band is ultra tough. The back cover of the 4 can also be replaced at apple for £25.

I've done it side by side and the volume is definitely lower. Some may prefer the sound of the five, but it is different and there is either more higher end frequency or less lower end. Not my preference, but I would say do a demo.

D

Deleted member 2457

woollyjoe said:
You don't appreciate how robust the 4 and 4s phone is until you compare to the 5. The 5 is easy to mark up whereas he 4 series wears its scratches better and the stainless steel band is ultra tough. The back cover of the 4 can also be replaced at apple for £25.

I've done it side by side and the volume is definitely lower. Some may prefer the sound of the five, but it is different and there is either more higher end frequency or less lower end. Not my preference, but I would say do a demo.

I love the back of the 4s, didn't like the back of the 5!

swordfish77

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys, if you ever considered to change the equalizer from ITunes? I setup that equalizer like i want and the IPhone EQ to default level, then i syncronize all my mp3's. It's better for battery life too. :read:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts