iPhone 4 Review?

T

the record spot

I can think of a good few products reviewed in WHF over the years that've slipped a star for a minor issue, yet a fundamental flaw in the iPhone, with rumour having it that the fix in the iP4 doesn't work in some cases and it gets 5 stars? Multimedia features aside, the main feature of the damn thing doesn't work properly without additional help and it gets the full complement? Come on guys...!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
1) I gather the guys reviewing it didn't have any reception problems.

2) The review went to press some weeks ago, long before the publicity for the problem some have been having, and of course the recent Apple press conference.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
3) The iPhone 4 sounds better than any other multimedia phone we've tested - it's a clear step up from the 3GS. And video looks gorgeous.

4) We've got friends and colleagues with iPhone 4s - none have had any big problems, before or after the software upgrade.

5) The review clearly mentions the reception-sensitivity issue re holding without a case

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:5) The review clearly mentions the reception-sensitivity issue re holding without a case

I suppose therein lies my point - there appears to be a fault with the phone if you hold it in your left hand...it just seems odd to give out a 5 star review for something that the parent company admits to having "got wrong". It's one of the most important features of the handset (else people would buy an iPod Touch instead presumably) but it's a 5 star winner because the flaw's mentioned in the review.

By the same logic then, why wouldn't the AE speakers or the Q Acoustics from the last issue get a similar gong?

Thanks for the fast replies, and I appreciate the fact others will have used the phone without issue.

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard:2) The review went to press some weeks ago, long before the publicity for the problem some have been having, and of course the recent Apple press conference.

Fair point and I hadn't considered that.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Clare Newsome:5) The review
clearly mentions the reception-sensitivity issue re holding without a
case
I suppose therein lies my point - there appears to be a fault with the
phone if you hold it in your left hand...it just seems odd to give out
a 5 star review for something that the parent company admits to having
"got wrong". It's one of the most important features of the handset
(else people would buy an iPod Touch instead presumably) but it's a 5
star winner because the flaw's mentioned in the review.
By the same logic then, why wouldn't the AE speakers or the Q Acoustics
from the last issue get a similar gong? Thanks for the fast replies,
and I appreciate the fact others will have used the phone without
issue.

Because in the case of the AE speakers or the Q Acoustics, you can buy better sonic performance for the money.

In our opinion there's nothing to beat the music or video performance of the iPhone 4 (that we've seen or heard), and the 'holding' issue is instantly solvable (if indeed you experience it) with a case.

It's like, say, the B&W 685 speakers - double Award winners 'despite' them only performing at their peak on very solid stands. We didn't dock a star off them for that, just made it clear what was needed to enjoy them at their best.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Andrew Everard:2) The review went to press some weeks ago, long before the publicity for the problem some have been having, and of course the recent Apple press conference.

Fair point and I hadn't considered that.

It's another reason we're going to have a new, regular feature from the next issue onwards where we revisit (and potentially re-rate) previously reviewed products in the light of significant developments- such as firmware issues, or a price rise/fall, or new competition arriving.

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm quite surprised there was no mention of the multi-tasking functionality in the review (not sure about in the mag, just read the online review). This is my first iPhone, and to be honest the thing that grates most is the multi-tasking; I personally feel it's very poorly designed. Why they did not include the ability to close an app when you come out of it rather than leave it running is beyond me. I shouldn't have to keep opening up the multi-tasking just to close apps down.

TRENDING THREADS