iOS 6 available

A

Anonymous

Apart from Siri, I really can't see what the fuss is about as the maps are poor for starters...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Agree with the maps. As I predicted, Apple has done its usual half-baked job of implementing the feature good just enough to get all its disciples clapping at the developers' conference, but now they'll (probably) abandon it and move onto something else. I really can't imagine an Apple-branded car driving round my local streets like the Google car did. They're just not interested.

Hoping there quickly will be a Google app which will give us back our proper streetview on iOS6.

Paul.

The 'google car' was driving itself around the DARPA challenge long before google hired the Stanford Racing team and turned an awesome VW Touareg in to a Prius :). It's just a Halo to get the good engineers working at the plex on things like street veiw, they too will get bored of autonomous vehicles when it's not exciting any more.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
What makes the new maps function poor can I ask? (not confrontational - just asking as I haven't used it yet and likely won't for a while). From what I've seen, it looks like it loads stuff quicker - is there just not as much detail?

Paul.

As its vector vases rather than image based it does load stuff much faster. But street veiw is gone and there arnt as nany points of interest. I'm just happy sponsored links are gone.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
professorhat said:
What makes the new maps function poor can I ask? (not confrontational - just asking as I haven't used it yet and likely won't for a while). From what I've seen, it looks like it loads stuff quicker - is there just not as much detail?

on the maps themselves, you lose a load of information such as transit details, street view, less satellite imagary. What you get in return is vector based and the lovely looking, but pretty useless flyby thinggy. You now also get sat nav built in basically.

For, the because of the loss of the google info on the maps, I'm finding it nowhere near as good as google maps. that's a personal opinion though. The google maps for ios was way outdated anyways, just a shame they couldn't come to some agreement with google for them to update the maps app to the same as what it is on android, but I guess apple are doing their damndest to shut google out now.

Installed the update on a couple of iphone 4s's here and so far it's faster, which is nice, but in general, not really any changes that I think would warrent calling it ios6. More like ios 5 and half.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
What about all the little changes in the sub menus in settings, you are meant to have more selective options like how to manage calls etc

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
landzw said:
What about all the little changes in the sub menus in settings, you are meant to have more selective options like how to manage calls etc

yep, there's also an option to basically filter calls/messages so you can have a vip list that will always come through no matter what your phone is set at.

I think one of the most important (and quite frankly about time to) additions is the option to add photos from an email. Not having to go to the photo and then send as an email anymore.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the maps - sounds to me like it'll actually be better for me therefore since I mostly used Google maps to find my way to places and never really used Street View.

From what I've seen, the Do Not Disturb feature is good since my other half frequently forgets to put her phone on silent at night - I can just setup a schedule now for it to automatically do this. Sharing Photo Streams might come in useful and the new call management features are nice (but should have been put in place donkeys years ago really). And offline Reading Lists + iCloud tabs is a great feature too.

Plus all the Siri enchancements look good, but we'll see how they work out in practice for us poor UK mortals.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i know this is the ipad forum but does anyone know if ios6 does anything for battery drain on the iphone 4s? my wife's phone struggles to get through the day on one charge.. and she wouldnt be the most intensive phone user out there..

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure to be honest as early days yet, but I'd check her brightness settings and also whether she lets the screen automatically turn off (i.e. through the auto lock feature), or whether she clicks it off with the top button. My OH's battery lasts about a day and it's because she has full brightness constantly and also just leaves the screen on all the time, waiting for auto-lock to actually put it to sleep. On the other hand, mine lasts 2 days minimum and I have brightness set way down to less than half (but still bright enough for everyday use) and I always click to sleep, rather than leaving the screen sitting there on doing nothing for 2 minutes at a time. Personally I think that's why I get a lot more out of mine.

Just a tip :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
My OH's battery lasts about a day and it's because she has full brightness constantly and also just leaves the screen on all the time, waiting for auto-lock to actually put it to sleep.
Yikes! Just tried full brightness and it could be used as a torch. Mine is set exactly half way and that is plenty for me.

Paul.

Wow, I have to say, maps is very poor. All the takeouts on my street are in the wrong place, my favourite cafe isn't even there. If I didn't already use navfree, I would be rolling back.

Paul.

If you google 'ios 5.1.1 firmware download' you will find the firmware download. What you do to downgrade is as follows:

1: Download the firmware

2: Once the firmware is downloaded put it in a folder where you can find it later

3: Open Itunes

4: Its best to put the device into DFU mode. To do this: Hold the home and sleep/wake button for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds let go of ONLY the sleep/wake button and continue to hold down to home button for 10 more seconds. Once done the screen should stay black and itunes should recognize it as in recovery mode.

5: Connect your iOS device

6: Hold the 'shift' button on the keyboard and click restore. A window will pop up asking you to locate the restore file you want to use. This is where you'll want to find your 'iOS firmware' download you put away for later.

7: Click on your 'iOS firmware' download and itunes will ask to retore with that file, click yes or continue and iTunes will restore your device to the firmware version you asked it to.

8: once restored you are good to go and you can eithier use your backup from the cloud or the computer.

TRENDING THREADS