Please excuse my ignorance! I'm an old fart, and tend to get lost in all these new terms. I'm now living abroad, where most of these "streaming" services,(whatever that is?) are not available. I have a Denon receiver, and Sony Blueray player, both about 5 years old. I want to have Internet radio. I know I can get it on my laptop, and probably plugit into my system, but I would like it intigrated. I noticed in recent reviews that some Blueray players have "streaming" built in. Does that mean Internet Radio also, or do I need to get a receiver with Internet Radio? If so, whar receiver can you recommend, on the budget end? Thanks for your patience!

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi John. Internet radio, as you've probably worked out isn't actually radio in that no radio waves are involved in the transmission, it's just the same sound recording squirted over the Internet. The squirting of sound files over a computer network is known as streaming and broadly speaking there are three things that people stream: their own music, internet radio and streaming services like Spotify.

internet radio tends to come in two forms - live and "catch up". One of the problems facing UK Internet radio at the minute is that the BBC has changed the format it broadcasts Internet radio and most streamers are not currently compatible. To get around this, they've temporarily put the live stream back to the old format but the catch-up has gone from a lot of devices including mine.

so the reason for this essay is just to make you aware that if the BBC is your target listen and you'd like to use catch up, buy cautiously or wait until the manufacturers catch up. What I've done is buy an iPad mini for radio which isn't integrated but regardless of what happens, I reckon the bbc will always support Apple formats.

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
The most versitle way to do it if you have a smartphone is download tunein app whichg is free, then get a bluetooth receiver that you plug into your aux input on your amp. You can pick them up cheap as chips under £10. If your phone supports aptx codec its worth paying a bit extra for a aptx bluetooth receiver which can stream at a higher bitrate, which are about £30.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts