Internet Radio and FLAC playback on a Denon AVR- 2311 - Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Evening All,

I've got a bit of a dilemma at the moment. I'm pretty much set on a Denon 2311 receiver for my forthcoming B&W 684 Theatre set (684 Fronts, 685 Reads, ASW601 and a HTM62) and was somewhat dissapointed to read that it has no network connection (3311 and up only). Which means, no native DLNA and no internet radio..... :-(

I can access most of my video content via DLNA on my Samsung C8000, and I guess i'll get audio back to the receiver via ARC for surround. So that should be covered.

However on the music/hi-fi side of things I have some question, which brings me back to the reason for this post.

I could survive with USB playback for a while, however i'm not sure on whether the USB playback supports FLAC? I don't see a mention of it in the manual......

I guess if it doesn't then i'm left looking for a streamer to pull it from my PC. Now interestingly enough when looking at the Denon site it does state that with the ASD-51N you gain DLNA Internet radion and FLAC support, but it's still music formats only by the looks of it.

I'm just wondering if buying the ASD-51N is worth it to gain integration with the existing denon menu's or -

- whether I should get a Touch (which seems to have a good DAC) to cover off the hi-fi side including internet radio.

- take a look at a streamer for video too e.g. a WD HS, however the quality of the audio (DAC and bitrate - for example I've read that the WD downsamples everything to 44.1) has me a bit uncertain.

- consider the move up to the 3311, but is it worth the difference in price?

I'd appreciate hearing now others have tackled this.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
What about one of these?

Downsampling to 44.1kHz is not a problem for streaming rips from CDs.

You can use the DAC in your AV receiver to do the conversion to analog, rather than relying on the WDTV Live, and invest in a stand alone DAC as funds allow. Clearly, the sky is the limit when it comes to buying a DAC...so the sound quality you get is limited by your budget (and the amp in the receiver).

The other advantage of the WDTV Live is it can use an external HDD. This "backup" of your PC drive can, therefore, be accessed when your PC is turned off.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I've to consider this a little more before making a decision.

Point is, I already have the capability to stream (and connect a NAS or HDD) to both my TV and Blu-ray player, which will both play pretty much any format or container out there. Sound will be dealt with from the TV with ARC, and from the bluray direct to the receiver.

The one thing which is missing (surprisingly) is the possibility to playback FLACs.

Hence my reasoning to potentially go for something just for music streaming and IP radio, as the video side is more or less covered already.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. I'd suggest that WDTV Live is a remarkably feature packed little box for very little money although I'll admit it only provides a very limited number of IP radio sources....and ones I wouldn't choose to listen to.

Luis Santos

Jun 4, 2020
Visit site
Sorry for the 10 years after reborn. I have just bought, used, a AVR-2311. And with sadness I confirm the USB input can't handle flac files. Only vanilla mp3 up to now... 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts