Intermittent Buzzing/Low output from one speaker

Hi All,

I recently bought my first turntable setup from SuperFi - A Project Essential II, a Denon PMA520AE and a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. After finally getting the tonearm balanced I was good to go, and had no problems for about 2-3 weeks before I noticed that the left speaker was buzzing, and that the output from it was very low compared to the right speaker.

If I turned the 'balancing' knob on the amp to the left speaker, output was very low. If I turned up the volume, the buzzing got louder but the output stayed the same. I immediately swapped the speakers (and cables), no change. I then unplugged every speaker cable fromthe amp, then back in. The positive input for the left speaker buzzed as soon as the speaker cable got near it.

I thought that the problem was with the amp - perhaps a loose connection on the input jack or something. I was able to send it back to SuperFi for a replacement - They couldn't find a fault but sent me a new one as a goodwill gesture. The new amp arrived on Friday - connected everything up and it was all fine.

I used it this afternoon for the first time since Friday and I noticed the buzzing/low output was back. I took everything downstairs, and conected it back up in a larger room, still the same problem. It's currently setup back in my bedroom, and both speakers are working as normal so I'm very confused as to why sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Assuming I haven't been sent two dodgy amplifiers, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Roberts said:
Hi All,

I recently bought my first turntable setup from SuperFi - A Project Essential II, a Denon PMA520AE and a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. After finally getting the tonearm balanced I was good to go, and had no problems for about 2-3 weeks before I noticed that the left speaker was buzzing, and that the output from it was very low compared to the right speaker.

If I turned the 'balancing' knob on the amp to the left speaker, output was very low. If I turned up the volume, the buzzing got louder but the output stayed the same. I immediately swapped the speakers (and cables), no change. I then unplugged every speaker cable fromthe amp, then back in. The positive input for the left speaker buzzed as soon as the speaker cable got near it.

I thought that the problem was with the amp - perhaps a loose connection on the input jack or something. I was able to send it back to SuperFi for a replacement - They couldn't find a fault but sent me a new one as a goodwill gesture. The new amp arrived on Friday - connected everything up and it was all fine.

I used it this afternoon for the first time since Friday and I noticed the buzzing/low output was back. I took everything downstairs, and conected it back up in a larger room, still the same problem. It's currently setup back in my bedroom, and both speakers are working as normal so I'm very confused as to why sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Assuming I haven't been sent two dodgy amplifiers, does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?
Have you done this?

Set it up and note which speaker is buzzing, turn off and swap over leads from Turntable into amp. If same speaker is buzzing then fault lies with amp or speakers, if fault goes to other speaker then TT is at fault.
If fault is with amp or speakers then swap speaker leads over out of amp if problem moves to other speaker then amp is at fault is not the speaker or cables fault.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried swapping both cables and speakers - it doesn't matter which combination is used, whichever speaker/cable is connected to the left positive speaker input buzzes.

i should also mention that this only happens when on the phono channel. Auxilliary is fine!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Roberts said:
Thanks for the reply. I have tried swapping both cables and speakers - it doesn't matter which combination is used, whichever speaker/cable is connected to the left positive speaker input buzzes.

i should also mention that this only happens when on the phono channel. Auxilliary is fine!
So are you saying that if you swap the phono leads over into the amplifier the LH speaker still buzzes?

No matter which cable or speaker is connected to the Left positive/ref ouput, it buzzes.

I've persisted with this for a while and it seems the problem is actually coming from the tonearm.

The record could be playing as normal, but when I raise the tonearm and then move it to place it in 's holder, sometimes the buzzing starts. I have to move te arm up and down, left and right to find the sweet spot before it stops again.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like cartridge LH channel or tonearm cable LH channel

Take deck back to dealer so the problem can be replicated at the dealer

Hope you get these little problems sorted - annoys the hell out of you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts