Interesting write up regarding lack of progress in speaker design

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thats a good read, not sure I followed all of it, but interesting never the less.

His examples debunk transmission line technology (hello PMC) and show how deficient traditional speakers are.

If I read it correctly he says the future is omni-directional speakers coupled with DSP. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I see Devaliet offer SAM for specific speaker models, I guess that is akin to DSP?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Thats a good read, not sure I followed all of it, but interesting never the less.

His examples debunk transmission line technology (hello PMC) and show how deficient traditional speakers are.

If I read it correctly he says the future is omni-directional speakers coupled with DSP. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I see Devaliet offer SAM for specific speaker models, I guess that is akin to DSP?

I think Peter Thomas might have something to say about that !

Not to mention the hundreds of recording studio's that use PMC transmission line speakers to record and master so much of the music we buy . :)

A very interesting read though , thankyou :)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
wilro15 said:

I think Peter Thomas might have something to say about that !

Not to mention the hundreds of recording studio's that use PMC transmission line speakers to record and master so much of the music we buy . :)

A very interesting read though , thankyou :)
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/integrated-amplifiers/integrated-amplifiers-reviews/harman-kardon-hk-990-stereo-integrated-amplifier-with-digital-room-correction-and-dual-subwoofer-bass-management-part-iii.html

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Interesting article, I loved this sentence:

"The main advantage of component systems is that the dealer can sell ridiculously expensive cables, hand-knitted by Peruvian virgins and soaked in snake oil, to connect it all up. That some of these are supplied with arrows denoting the direction of signal flow defies description. Fortunately, the electrons can’t see the markings and behave normally."

Seem to remember that Alan Shaw, designer of Harbeth speakers also has a very low opinion of transmission line speakers as, he claimed, it was a fundamentally flawed design. He went on at length to explain exactly why.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The Harman Kardon HK 990 seems to be a good piece of kit looking at various reviews. Doesn't seem to be available in the UK though. The DSP sounds a bit like what Audyssey does for AVRs.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Do we live in a world were the truth prevails, in most cases no. Do we live in a world were money making becomes first priority in most cases yes. This does not only apply to the hifi world or industry but to all aspects of life. Bad tradition is hard to break in any aspect of life, from old believes to psychological affected minds. From religion to bad culture all around the world. What we learn from are parents or society to survive is also what holds us back.

Seems humans have got this ability not to let either good or bad go. We are very traditional to what we do. When anything traditional is opposed it a big problem for mankind. For many it seems you are taking away all they know away from them, hence a lot of resistance to new concepts & ideas. It is a really big problem in all aspects of life around the world.

NICE ARTICLE

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It does seem to me I'm listening to music in essentially the same quality as my father (and I) were around 44 years ago with the speakers much the same as regards the basic design whereas other things in life do seem to have moved on - Though amplification also hasn't changed much either in quality - I have always had niggling reservations regarding any loudspeaker where the bass follows often from ther rear of the cabinet some time after the top end?

Sorry about the overly long title, it don't flag it as an issue until you comment.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
pauln said:
Seem to remember that Alan Shaw, designer of Harbeth speakers also has a very low opinion of transmission line speakers as, he claimed, it was a fundamentally flawed design. He went on at length to explain exactly why.

I'm sure if you asked Peter Thomas about Sealed or ported Harbeth speakers he would say something like , they are nice speakers but they are fundamentaly flawed because ........... :)

All speakers are flawed in one way or another , to dismiss one type of design is a flawed argument . :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
IME what he says about electrostatic speakers is right.

I've yet to hear a decent pair of omnidirectional speakers, but I can see why the concept has its fans.

Unfortunately the omnidirectional 'static Muraudio speakers cost USD58K.

Matt

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I would post a counter argument about Transmission lines to the one by John Watkinson :)

http://www.pmc-speakers.de/PMC-Transmission%20Line%20by%20PT.pdf

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts