Interesting new articles in other publications

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I hope the editors here don't mind me making a few comments on some of the reviews and articles in other mags this month. I am not concerned with the publications just the products;

Hifi+ just made Kef's iQ9 one of their products of the year. Having just again had a surprise re-union with the smaller iQ7 I can understand why. Good coherence and a quality treble, imaging and a lack of boomy bass so common amongst many floorstanders, even expensive ones, are some of the praises the magazine quoted. The smaller 7's also sound exceptionally natural and detailed. Lower frequencies are a bit timid but clear and delineated with appropriate amp and source so they benefit from a sub but other than that they are an absolute bargain at £300. Look good too.

HifiChoice just made the Arcam FMJ38 the top product in its respective category of amplifiers between £1k and 2k. I have to admit I am a bit surprised even though I know the publication has had reviewed their (Arcam) products favourably for some time. As I am off work today I thought I refresh my memory and had a quick listen to the amp with the matching top Arcam player and a pair of B&W CDM7's. What can I say? Capable, safe, reasonably detailed and perhaps good looking but best amplifier up to 2k? - That's some verdict and I for one, like I said, am astonished. Say no more.

Their saving grace is that in the same awards issue they give the CA840A v2 top spot up to 1k. Totally agree but to say the FMJ38 is the better amplifier (quote ' ... quite simply, one of the best amplifiers around! ') is questionable, very. Still, we all like different things and I'm sure many will be happy with it ...
emotion-20.gif

Same magazine and they made CA's DacMagic product of the year. Having one here right now I am not surprised. Its no giant killer but sounds lovely and is more than useful with all its connection options.

Anything you read and feel like commenting on?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Brave man indeed....drummer

I haven't bought any award issue yet this year, may be a trip down WHsmith should be on my to do list this week.

A

Anonymous

Maybe I'm missing something with Arcam.

I've always thought it competent, and not bad, but I wouldn't get excited about it.

It's so middle of the road.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess it all depends on your taste in sound and how you like it delivered.

Someone who likes their system to be able punch holes through brickwork at full rip will be disappointed with anything which cannot, whereas someone who enjoys acoustic/jazz/chamber classical etc. or enjoys music delivered in a more relaxed or 'natural' way may prefer a different product.

Reviewers and magazines vary as much as customers in their preferences and tastes.

matthewpiano

Having seen my turntable, CD player, and amp all get strong mentions I'm more than happy with the HFC Awards this year. Its nice but even if everyone hated it, nothing could really put me off my kit at the moment.

I don't really 'get' Arcam either. Liked some of the later Alpha series but never settled with either of the DiVA systems I had (A65+ with CD73 and later on an A70 with CD73). I haven't heard the latest FMJ amp but the WHFS&V review doesn't give me great hope.

A

Anonymous

chebby:I guess it all depends on your taste in sound and how you like it delivered.

Someone who likes their system to be able punch holes through brickwork at full rip will be disappointed with anything which cannot, whereas someone who enjoys acoustic/jazz/chamber classical etc. or enjoys music delivered in a more relaxed or 'natural' way may prefer a different product.

Reviewers and magazines vary as much as customers in their preferences and tastes.

Nicely put Chebby - you should become a mediator........you must have children!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:chebby:I guess it all depends on your taste in sound and how you like it delivered. Someone who likes their system to be able punch holes through brickwork at full rip will be disappointed with anything which cannot, whereas someone who enjoys acoustic/jazz/chamber classical etc. or enjoys music delivered in a more relaxed or 'natural' way may prefer a different product. Reviewers and magazines vary as much as customers in their preferences and tastes. Nicely put Chebby - you should become a mediator........you must have children!

yeb but (BUT) to win a awards, the reviewers already took that into account...surely.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Anything you read and feel like commenting on?

Just the fact that as you say, everyone likes different things. You may not like the Arcam, but I don't see how it's makes the mag award 'questionable'? You seem to be implying something, why not just come out and say it?
emotion-5.gif

I've not really heard much of the Cambridge stuff, due to not having much chance to demo it where I live. I've heard the Kef's though, and they left me cold. But all I take from that is that I don't like them, not that they're bad products.

Good to hear more positive news about the Cambridge DAC though, if I'm to get one it will be without a demo, and as with many other folk it's between that and the Beresford. I guess we'll see many more on the market before long though.

A

Anonymous

also the mags of the eightys hi fi answers-- practical hifi -- popular hi fi-- were linn naim dominated .they did not like digital as that would stop them selling there mags. and it came true as they all evaporated without trace. these same mags were saying dont use your watch in same room as linn name setup as the small battery in the watch would cause some sort of distortion. total c--p also you could buy small triangles of black coated tin foil you stuck to cds and more importintley your mains plugs. to help the dreaded digital sound become better . but the hifi buyers started to see through all the pap the hifi press spouted at that time.

A

Anonymous

Grimaldi:That was a good read chebby. Thanks for the post.
Indeed. Thumbs up to direct drive TTs, I have a Revox and it's great :)

TRENDING THREADS