Interconnects cables CHORD or QED?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

here I'm again asking few more advices for my upgrades. My system is NAD C370 amp, NAD C521BEE cd player (maybe in the near future will be replace with a better model) and Monitor Audio RS8's which I'll soon bi-amp with a NAD C270 or C272. As I'm in the process of upgrading the cables (I just bought the Chord Odissey 2 for the speakers) I was wondering what you guys think about the interconnects cables CHORD (Crimson Plus Vee or Cobra Vee 3) or QED (Reference Audio Evolution or Signature)? Or better go for a pure copper like ATLAS Equator MKIII Integra? :doh:

A

Anonymous

Try and find a retailer who will lend you some and listen for yourself. Only you can make that choice. However, I don't think you will see any difference, personally, with your kit. 2.5mm copper 322 strand speaker cable would have been fine too. You can find 10 metres for about £6 on eBay to make that test, then sell the Chord Odyssey if you can't see any difference.
smiley-smile.gif

Hi cobra11

I'll believe that you should also consider using basic interconnects as i feel these will be more then good enough for your system. Thereafter use the bass and treble tone controls on the C370 to alter/shape/tune the balance of your system.

Fwiw, i am using a basic 5m interconnect between a Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC and a Plinius Hiato amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I'll keep the cable I got at the moment which is a basic QED so might do the job well. I just replace the old flat bi-wired speaker's cable with a Chord Odissey 2 hoping to improve the sound and in a way it did, the high and meddle range are definitely more clear but it feels like the bass range has nearly disappeared, I don't know if the cable needs a bit of running time before settling or is just as a consequence. Another guy on the forum and the chap at the shop said that I need to give a bit of time before judging. What do you think?

A

Anonymous

Definitely let new cables you get 'burn in' but don't rule out other interconnects without trying.

both the Chord CrimsonPlus & CobraPlus interconnects are very good & can be had 2nd hand on eBay & other hifi related forums o maybe buying 2nd would be easier as you can sell on if necessary with little or no £££ loss!

A

Anonymous

cobra 11. I do not believe in 'burn in' - it's just a way of you getting used to the sound, IMHO. If you're not happy now, you'll not be happy in 100+ hours of burn in either. Try that eBay test for £6.00 and see if your bass returns, or return to your old cable.
smiley-smile.gif

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion Chord interconnects are not that good - pls refer to the review of the 2012 WHF awards for the 'new' champion interconnect. It says it all - and I quote " Its £5 more expensive than the CrimsonPlus but then again it improves on many of the things the former champ did right". I never rated that interconnect anyhow.

Personnally I found the chord aggressive and blunt,

QED interconnects I do rate though more seperated, detailed , natural and musical to my ears. Don't get me wrong there is no night and day differences to what these cables will do to your music on your system, but those little subtle differences will make huge differences to your music listening long term.

And don't listen to that mad talk about cheap cables and 75 strand nonesense, trust your ears - you will notice differences.

If you can try the QED performance 2 its a sweet sounding cable - ignore the 4star rating by WHF - much better than the CrimsonPlus imo.... :)

A

Anonymous

Agreed Rick. The 322 strand I use is enough for anyone. Not nonsense at all is it?
smiley-money-mouth.gif

T

the record spot

Thompsonuxb said:
In my opinion Chord interconnects are not that good - pls refer to the review of the 2012 WHF awards for the 'new' champion interconnect. It says it all - and I quote " Its £5 more expensive than the CrimsonPlus but then again it improves on many of the things the former champ did right". I never rated that interconnect anyhow.

QED interconnects I do rate though more seperated, detailed , natural and musical to my ears. Don't get me wrong there is no night and day differences to what these cables will do to your music on your system, but those little subtle differences will make huge differences to your music listening long term.

And don't listen to that mad talk about cheap cables and 75 strand nonesense, trust your ears - you will notice differences.

If you can try the QED performance 2 its a sweet sounding cable - ignore the 4star rating by WHF - much better than the CrimsonPlus imo.... :)

79-, 322-, 400-, or 500-strand will do you a fine job. I swapped out Audioquest Type 4, which I think currently goes for around £13/metre for 322-strand in my previous setup. The 322-strand was excellent. I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but clearly, suggesting that good quality OFC cable that comes in at less than £10 all in is the poorer relation because it doesn't come in a fancy box, is just as big a fallacy as the one you're trying to point out in the other direction.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Thompsonuxb said:
75 strand nonesense

Hi Thompsonuxb

I would recommend a minimum of standard 79 strand OFC type
smiley-tongue-out.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

lol..... I swear Rick@Musicraft, you and your cheap cables, I know it makes no odds, but I can't help but feel with the kit you have you are missing out on what its truely capable of by not trying the options available to you, but to each their own,,,,,, I accept that.

79 strand ........ honestly...... ;)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
Thompsonuxb said:

79-, 322-, 400-, or 500-strand will do you a fine job. I swapped out Audioquest Type 4, which I think currently goes for around £13/metre for 322-strand in my previous setup. The 322-strand was excellent. I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but clearly, suggesting that good quality OFC cable that comes in at less than £10 all in is the poorer relation because it doesn't come in a fancy box, is just as big a fallacy as the one you're trying to point out in the other direction.

accepted...... well, we've both made our suggestions to the op. Lets hope he comes back and updates us once he's decided what he'll do.... :)

A

Anonymous

Happy new year to all of you and thanks for the advices.

As Rick suggested I might keep the basic QED cable between the Nad C370 and the Nad C521bee and when I'll get a Nad C270 or 275 for bi-amping the MA RS8's speakers I'll reed through your posts again and decide which one to choose. At moment I'm trying to test other speaker's cables because the Chord Odissey 2 didn't impress me at all, way too bright and not enough bass (maybe is good for an higher level system, but not for mine) and also listening some of you saying that there's not such thing of "burn in" with cables, I'll try soon a Van Damme UP-LCOFC and see if I can have some bass back.

:cheers:

A

Anonymous

cobra11 said:
Happy new year to all of you and thanks for the advices.

As Rick suggested I might keep the basic QED cable between the Nad C370 and the Nad C521bee and when I'll get a Nad C270 or 275 for bi-amping the MA RS8's speakers I'll reed through your posts again and decide which one to choose. At moment I'm trying to test other speaker's cables because the Chord Odissey 2 didn't impress me at all, way too bright and not enough bass (maybe is good for an higher level system, but not for mine) I'll try soon a Van Damme UP-LCOFC and see if I can have some bass back.

:cheers:

Your comments re the Odyssey 2 speaker cable amaze me as I've had it between NAD and MA speakers (all be it with a Rega CDP) and found the bass weight to be astonishing. Deep, taut and very punchy indeed. Same with the Carnival Silverscreen but for me the Odyssey 2 opened up the midrange more.

QED Revelation is also a superb cable but then so is the Silver Anniversary XT cable...

A

Anonymous

Hi Recruiter, it amazed me too finding out that although spending quiet allot money for the Odyssey 2 cable (which was very well rated on forums) the performance is lower then what I've expected especially with the bass. I was bi-wiring the speakers using a cheap but decent cable and I was quiet pleased with the sound, but then I thought there's always room for improvement and tried the Chord Odissey 2. As I said in previous posts, I don't know if is just a matter of time until the cable settle and needs a bit of running time (some people says yet it will, some other says no) the only thing I know is that I miss the punchy bass. I'll soon test a brand new Van Damme cable and see the difference and go from there.

cobra11 said:
Hi all,

here I'm again asking few more advices for my upgrades. My system is NAD C370 amp, NAD C521BEE cd player (maybe in the near future will be replace with a better model) and Monitor Audio RS8's which I'll soon bi-amp with a NAD C270 or C272. As I'm in the process of upgrading the cables (I just bought the Chord Odissey 2 for the speakers) I was wondering what you guys think about the interconnects cables CHORD (Crimson Plus Vee or Cobra Vee 3) or QED (Reference Audio Evolution or Signature)? Or better go for a pure copper like ATLAS Equator MKIII Integra? :doh:

Used to own Chord interconnects. Few years ago I changed to Merlin Chopin. They are fantastic cables at the price: Very open and transparent with a smooth midband and taut bottom end.

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying the Chord Odyssey speaker cable. Using the cable myself I to am amazed that there is a lack of bass. As with recruiter`s remarks mine is deep, tight and punchy. I can only put it down to the compatability with your MA RS8 speakers.

If you are planning to add to/upgrade your Nad equipment personally I would upgrade from the basic QED interconnect. I feel you would get improvements in all areas. A home demo/loan would help to decide. A quality mains cable (not listed in my bio) will also do wonders for your system, producing a more clear and open sound.

Regards Kev g

Thompsonuxb said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Thompsonuxb said:
75 strand nonesense

Hi Thompsonuxb

I would recommend a minimum of standard 79 strand OFC type
smiley-tongue-out.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

lol..... I swear Rick@Musicraft, you and your cheap cables, I know it makes no odds, but I can't help but feel with the kit you have you are missing out on what its truely capable of by not trying the options available to you, but to each their own,,,,,, I accept that.

79 strand ........ honestly...... ;)

Hi Thompsonuxb

At present the AV system in use consists of a Chord Electronics DSP8000 (£13k), Plinius Odean (£11k), ATC (SCM19, C3C, SCM11, C6 sub) @ £11k, basic pro interconnects/sub woofer cable and standard 79/500 strand speaker cable. I would not use these basic/standard cables if i felt they were holding performance back. I don't feel the need to 'bling' up our components/systems to show/impress our clients.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
lol....o.k...o.k.

But Rick tell me, truthfully have you ever tried a more exotic cable, just tried it?

If not, why not? - I get your philosophy but ,,,,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts