Inherited Hi-Fi Stash. Advice appreciated.

Jonathan Mole

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I recently inherited a substantial stash of hi-fi equipment. To give an idea of the quantity, there's about 45 turntables, 60 pairs of speakers, many amps, casette decks and tuners, etc.

I'm after advice about what is good/bad/worth trying to sell. It's too much gear to sell item by item as I don't have the time to ebay it all, so some of it is going to have to go in the bin. I'd prefer it went to a good home rather than in a skip though.

There are some brands that I recognise as quality, but don't know enough about the specific models (there is some vintage B&O, sony, technics, JBL, etc).

If anyone would be interested in/willing to have a look over a list of items (make/model number), it would be greatly appreciated, and most of it is for sale. If so, I can copy/paste or email a pdf list over.

Jonathan

Jonathan Mole

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
OK, it won't let me copy and paste the whole list as it gets flagged as spam. Let's try a link to the dropbox file of the PDF...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukpb47is3oevpbc/List%20of%20Equipment%20Jonathan%20Mole.pdf?dl=0

TrevC

Wow. Some list. The Philips active Motional Feedback speakers are interesting to me as I used to repair them, and the Dansette record player is interesting because i used to work in their factory. I also once owned a pair of Leak mini Sandwich speakers. The Dansettes fetch a high price. There is very little junk on there, most of it is of value.

Jonathan Mole

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
TrevC said:
Wow. Some list. The Philips active Motional Feedback speakers are interesting to me as I used to repair them, and the Dansette record player is interesting because i used to work in their factory. I also once owned a pair of Leak mini Sandwich speakers. The Dansettes fetch a high price. There is very little junk on there, most of it is of value.

Hi Trev,

Is there a way to PM on here? (sorry, I've just registered and can't obviously see a way to do it) If not, am I allowed to post my email adress? I've posted the list on a few sites and it would be easier for me to keep a track of what people are interested in if I have emails/PMs.

I'm living in London but will be up norte next weekend and can dig out items and take photos etc if required.

Jonathan

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Jonathan, there's some nice kit in that list.

Can you tell us anything about the previous owner?

What's the general condition of it all?

Did you inherit any CD's, vinyl, cassettes, reel to reel tapes?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
The Philips active Motional Feedback speakers are interesting to me as I used to repair them.

gw_worship.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Nice JBLs in that list. One pair has no model description though.

JBL -151896 *scratch_one-s_head*

JBL AQUARIOUS S109

JBL L300 SUMMIT
heart.gif

Jonathan Mole

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Jonathan, there's some nice kit in that list.

Can you tell us anything about the previous owner?

What's the general condition of it all?

Did you inherit any CD's, vinyl, cassettes, reel to reel tapes?

Hi Lindsay,

All of this stuff was my dad's. He bought/sold/repaired a lot of stuff and all of the stuff on the list had been stored in his house and garage for months or years. I've moved a lot of it about into storage and noted that most of it was in good cosmetic condition, but I don't know a lot about the kit myself and haven't had the opportunity to test anything. The list above was put together by my sister as I'm in London and so I don't have regular access to the equipment. Unfortunately neither of us have a lot of time to sift through, test, photograph, package etc every item and so I'm hoping to thin the herd a little by sifting out and low value items. Similarly, if there's any in particular that forum members are personally interesed in then I can try to prioiritise these.

There was quite a lot of vinyl, some reel to reel tapes too (inclding a beatles album, which I thought was cool as I didn't know albums were even released on reel to reel!). The majority of these I gave to my uncle though, there may be a couple of boxes left but I'm not sure what they are.

There are also several bags and boxes of miscellaneous cables that we haven't even begun to sift through yet.

Jonathan

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Anderson said:
This is like an audiophile wet dream.

Not on this forum. Here a pair of KEF LS50s + Rega Brio-R + Rega RP3 are deemed superior to anything on that list.

I'd have the JBL items in a shot if they were in good condition and available separately, iven the pot luck models.

The Aquarious 4 was the last of the fabulous Aquarious range to stay in production, way into the 70s. The near omni-directional designs were a delight and would suit modern, minimalist rooms to a T.

The Aquarious range were a seriously inovative range of high performance speakers, featuring omnidirectional sound and other features far ahead of their time, wrapped up in stunningly designed enclosures, the S109 Aquarious 4 being the simplest and cheapest of the range.

aquarius4.JPG

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Jonathan Mole said:
and most of it is for sale

A sales thread by any other name is still a sales thread. Notice you've also posted this on several other forums, and already you're talking about PMs, presumably to start negotiating sales.

Thought this kind of thing wasn't allowed here

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
Jonathan Mole said:

A sales thread by any other name is still a sales thread. Notice you've also posted this on several other forums, and already you're talking about PMs, presumably to start negotiating sales.

House rule No.12 says: "Trade members, dealers, manufacturers and their PRs must not use the forums to blatantly 'promote' products they sell or distribute."

However, if the OP is genuinely a private individual and has a stack of secondhand gear that is of interest to other users then I see no harm in that. If anyone wants to contact him directly you can email us at whathifi@haymarket.com and we'll put you in touch via email.

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
So does this mean sales and wants ads are now permitted?

If so, can we have a proper classified section, and a PM facility so members can contact each other directly to negotiate deals?

Thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Any old Nagra stuff in there? You know, junk no one else wants?

I cover the postage.

Actually, I will be in your area this afternoon ... wherever it is :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Andy Clough said:
House rule No.12 says: "Trade members, dealers, manufacturers and their PRs must not use the forums to blatantly 'promote' products they sell or distribute."

However, if the OP is genuinely a private individual and has a stack of secondhand gear that is of interest to other users then I see no harm in that. If anyone wants to contact him directly you can email us at whathifi@haymarket.com and we'll put you in touch via email.

A voice of common sense and reason. Well done Andy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Andy Clough said:

A voice of common sense and reason. Well done Andy.

I was always under the impression that was mine ... ah well, never mind.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
So does this mean sales and wants ads are now permitted?

If so, can we have a proper classified section, and a PM facility so members can contact each other directly to negotiate deals?

Thanks.

It's something that's been on our 'wishlist' for some time. I'd love to do it, just have to prioritise other work that also needs doing on the site. I'm certainly not against the idea.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

aquarius4.JPG

I truly love these speakers.

To the OP, I'm not knowledgable about the gear you've inherited, but it seems to be quite valuable, and it was obviously loved by your dad. If you do have to let some go, then I'm sure a charity close to your, or your dad's heart would really appreciate it, and if you sell some, don't let it go cheap.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Jonathan Mole said:

In that case, someone has just deposited hundreds of pairs of headphones in my warehouse...

*music2*

Back to the OP's post, that is incredible, what a stash indeed. You should spend some time hooking it all up and listening to it.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your dad.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I truly love these speakers.

To the OP, I'm not knowledgable about the gear you've inherited, but it seems to be quite valuable, and it was obviously loved by your dad. If you do have to let some go, then I'm sure a charity close to your, or your dad's heart would really appreciate it, and if you sell some, don't let it go cheap.

The JBL stuff I do know about (I used to work for them) and it all depends on the condition, not just of the cabinets but the drive inits themselves. These units will be 40 to 50 years old, there could be issues with the cones, the surrounds, suspension not to mention the loss of flux in the Alnico magnets.

If I had the space I would take them on as a reconstuction project, but I don't. The L300 is (depending on the exact model and year) functionally identical to my old 4332 studio monitors but with fully passive crossovers, bass units might be different but not enough to worry about. In a sense the older the bass drivers the better, they had linen rather than foam surrounds.

Jonathan Mole

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Jonathan Mole said:

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice posted so far. It's all very useful stuff.

Regarding the above, apologies if I've used the forum inappropriately. I have indeed posted on other forums with the same list and had similar discussions there about people contacting me regarding buying some of these items. I've discussed the issue with some moderators one one site who seemed very reasonable about it (as seems to be the case here) because it is an unusual situation. On that site I've said that I would pay commission for any sales that come about as a result of members getting in touch and now that I have been generously given a lot of free and useful advice to point me in the right direction, any future posts will be in the correct classified threads.

I'm not a professional trader or very knowledgable about this equipment and I'm not trying to abuse the forum communities, I'm just looking to dispose of a lot of gear and it was difficult to know where to start.

Thanks again for all of the replies,

Jonathan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts