Inherited a big CD collection - is a used DVD player best value as a transport to feed DAC?

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
A late relative has just bequeathed to me somewhere in the region of 2,000 classical and jazz CDs, for which I'm very grateful and now intend to listen to all of them - expanding my musical knowledge and keeping a selection.
My system is streaming-based (iMac - Arcam irDac - Arcam A19 - MA RX1) so I'm now scouting for a decent quality CD transport to play the new music via my irDAC - either coax or optically linked.
While searching online it occurred to me that Arcam DVD players on auction sites might offer better value than CD players. Same build quality, same digital outputs.
Am I barking up the wrong tree -- or is this the best value solution? I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
Many thanks.

Tonestar1

I use an Arcam DV135 as transport. I got it at a great price and to me it sounded a lot better than the equivalent CD players at the same price point. I now use the digital outs to my amp, which has a far better dac. Sounds great so no complaints here. Why don't you just rip the CD's and play via your usual method?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
Why don't you just rip the CD's and play via your usual method?

lol probably because he has better things lined-up for the next three years of his life than ripping 2,000 jazz and classical CDs which I bet will need a LOT of manual tagging. Classical CDs make up perhaps 10% of my CD collection, but ripping and tagging them easily consumed more than 25% of the total time.

Whilst DVD players may be ok (and Arcam ones seem to come recommended) I feel that you are paying for more complex circuitry that is basically redundant when utilising it as a CD transport.

You would be better off looking for a used CD player for the transport in my view.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts