Inconsistent loud speaker sound

deanms

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Hello, not sure how to ask but just this weekend whilst playing my vinyl LPs I noticed the sound from one speaker reduce. It seemed as though only one speaker was projecting the sound until I could hear the aforementioned speaker up close. After some minutes the sound came back again as normal. When I changed the LP it happened again, virtually only one speaker replaying the music back to me.

I thought this might be a cable or even an amp issue, but after putting a CD on compare, there was no loss of sound.

My concern is that it may be either the deck or the phonostage (which aren't cheap) although these were bought fairly recently.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so what is the issue please and a possible soilution?

Thank you.

deanms

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Check your tracking weight (in fact rebalance the arm to zero and dial in from scratch).

Check and reset the anti skate/bias.

Ensure all your cartridge connection tags are firmly seated and not loose.

Check the stylus and cantilever for any damage or gunk. (If gunk, get a stylus brush.) I have had success with 'macro setting' on a compact digital camera for this but you could get a powerful magnifying glass or jewellers magnifier.

Ensure the turntable is on a levelled surface (level side to side and back to front) with a small spirit level on the turntable plinth.

See if reversing the L and R connections from your TT to your phono-stage's inputs moves the fault to the other speaker or not. (If it does then the fault is somewhere in the turntable/cartridge/arm/armlead.)

If not, put them back as they were and reverse L & R with the cable from the phono-stage to the amp and see if the fault moves to the other speaker. (If it does then the fault is in the phono-stage.)

If none of this moves the fault to the other speaker, then swing the cable from the phono-stage's output to another input on the amp (one you know is good like the CD inputs).

If all is well through this different amplifier input then the problem is in the original amplifier input you had the phono-stage plugged into.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive experienced similar when listening to a cd

Eventually (After months of everything seeming ok) the amp gave up on one channel

deanms

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi thanks for the previous advise which I have tried. Unfortunately the issue is still occuring and wondered if you had any other thoughts.

Basically, when the tonearm is placed over the plattter a humming noise eminates through one channel. This leads to the lower volume. I can also faintly hear a radio station at times which I know isn't uncommon with hi-fi. The tonearm cable is earthed to the phono-stage if that helps.

Could this be a grounding or earthing problem? I don't believe my equipment is faulty.

Thank you.

Dean

A

Anonymous

You either have a bad earth, or a disconnected earth. On the rear of the cartridge it's self is 4 wires. Likelihood is that one isn't contacting properly or is touching another one. Very carefully check mind because they are extremely fragile. If it's a pmount cartridge unplug it and re seat it.

A

Anonymous

As an after thought you could check the connections to the RCA sockets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts