in-line attenuators

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and would like some advice on the following;

Have recently moved to a new house and my hifi system does not sound as good as it did. System consists of:

Source: Meridian 206 Delta/with tricord 2 modification

Pre Amp: Exposure 19

Power Amp: Exposure 4 Dual Reg

Speakers: Acoustic Energy AE1's

Cables: Van del hul The First

Speaker Cables: Ortofon SPK 200.

I've noticed that I cannot get the volume as high as I could and the system sounds slightly harsher than before. In order to get the preamp volume to go between the 10o'clock and 2 o'clock position I've temporarly attached a Qed passive preamp between the CD and the Exposure Pre amp - this has helped mellow and neutralise the sound. Will adding an inline attenuato(Goldenjack, Russ Andrews or Rothwell) help and be any better than using the Qed in between the Cd and Pre amp. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks indie...

John Duncan

TBH, I would think that a QED passive volume control will be just as good quality as an attenuator, but for the quality (and cost) of your system, it would surely be worth a punt on attenuators to compare? Is the kind of thing where most manufacturers will do a money back guarantee.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought, have you moved from a sparsely furnished wooden-floored room to one with carpets and bigger furniture?

Furniture has a much bigger effect on sound than people imagine...

A

Anonymous

JD, any advice on which make is best? I saw a thread on here where someone replaced their Rothwells with Golden jacks and thought they were better, but sadly after clicking through 22 pages of threads i cant find it again!

Much as i know it's subjective one may as well start somewhere if your taking a chance!

Cheers,
Ed

A

Anonymous

Hi FBSF, you are spot on! we've moved into the exact environment as you state. I used to love the sound of my system in the wooden floored room.

Regards, Indie...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
That'll do it... Chuck out all of the furniture, and tell the partner you are going for the "distressed wood" look and rip up the carpet
emotion-5.gif

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Just flogged some Goden Jacks on Ebay. Didn't notice any difference when I used them at all in my system. Tried both between CD and pre amp and between pre and power amps. That's just my experience...

Cheers

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast:Just a thought, have you moved from a sparsely furnished wooden-floored room to one with carpets and bigger furniture?

Furniture has a much bigger effect on sound than people imagine...How does this work?

I understand the surroundings affecting the room, but would have thought that the wooden floors and less furniture would lead to harshness as there's more to bounce off?

A

Anonymous

This is exactly what I thought but the opposite has happened. could be that the AE1's are now placed closer to the wall. I'm going to try and find a retailer in Birmingham that might loan me some attenuators. The qed does help but I'm not keen on having to many wires between the units.

Regards, Indie...

A

Anonymous

You need to get the right level of attenuation, I have some mint goldenjacks for sale at -10Db, just because I have ordered some -16's.

I had a similar Exposure set up as you being fed by a loud cdp. GJ's work, only via the power amp. much lower noise floor, much more volume finesse, and the harshness goes completely.

Happy Days.

£20 if you want them ;-)

robb@eq-db.com

A

Anonymous

Hi Surfer,

Thanks for the info and offer, I've being checking the web for info on attenuators and so far there seems to be more negative feedback on using them. I'll need to try first to see wheather they benefit my system..will let you know.

Thanks, Indie...

A

Anonymous

Try mine for free if you like pop me an email and i'm happy for you to give em a test drive. As for the negative feedback there is a hell of a lot of positive as well !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts