In-Ceiling Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
We're looking to use a few Sonos ZP120 units in our new home and would like to match them with good, if not necessarily high-end, in-ceiling speakers. Each person with whom I have spoken has had a different recommendation (e.g., Polk MC60, SpeakerCraft AIM5 Three, B&W ccm618, and Klipsch cdt-2650-c). I have been unable to find any useful reviews of any of these speakers (perhaps because they are at the low end of the range), but I would like to get the best we can out of our limited budget (up to $250 per speaker). Any suggestions for in-ceiling speakers--especially if it is choosing one of the mentioned models over the others--would be sincerely appreciated.

A

Anonymous

problem is in-ceiling placement is rarely a satisfactory solution if you actually want to listen to the music. Ok for background music (e.g. in a department store).

A

Anonymous

I agree. They're not really ideal for a proper listening session. We have some in the dining room which fit the purpose fine. You could also look at Pro-ficient, Speakercraft or Monitor Audio speakers. I would recommend going for 8" drivers rather than 6". They have a larger frequency range. It's amazing how high the cut off is on some speakers. Be aware that having speakers in a downstairs ceiling can lead to sound bleed into the room above, even when they are within an enclosure.

scene

Agree with all the comments so far. If you're looking for discrete speakers for actual music, you might also want to consider in-wall speakers. These have less issues with sound bleed and as they can be placed at a conventional height - i.e. tweeters at ear level - and have larger enclosures, can produce a fuller range. Again, B&W, KEF and Monitor Audio are good makes at which to look.

TRENDING THREADS