In a Dilemma with Sonus Faber and Spendor?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As I begin my quest for hi fi again I am looking to purchase some speakers, and have seen a good deal on some Sonus Faber Concerto Domus x display for £999, from £1800.

I am looking to partner with x demo Cyrus Pre XVS £389, Mono X (2) £1995 DAC X £700, CDXT £299.

Will these get the detail through that Cyrus provide and be a good match or are the electronics to good?

If not I can get hold of some ex dem Spendor s8's for £1400. Will these be better if not cheeper?

matthewpiano

The electronics aren't too good for the Sonus Fabers. I had the privilege of hearing a pair of these not that long ago and they are incredibly good speakers.

What you need to do is give both pairs of speakers a really comprehensive audition with the Cyrus gear and see which suits your ears and chosen music the best.

A

Anonymous

You're going to have to audition both, I'm afraid.

They're both excellent speakers, by the way. I've heard the Domus Concertos a few times with Naim and Unison Research amps, but not with Cyrus. They are a musical, nicely detailed, very listenable speaker. I don't know the Spendors, but I'd imagine they'd be a touch more analytical.

A

Anonymous

I've heard both and both are superb. As pointed out, the Spendors are a more 'hifi' sound and will give stunning sound-stage and detail. The SF will give a more natural sound and major on acoustics and voice. I heard the latter with Unison valve amps and they blew me away. The S8s will give a bigger sound with a more expansive bass, something the MonoX amps will revel in. Also, Spendor use Cyrus to voice their speakers so they're a good match.

What a difficult one! Auditions required I think. The SF win on looks though
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to keep to a tight budget but so want the detail and drive. Will the MONO X be too much for the Sonus and therfore just get the x powers which can be switched to mono for 110w a channel. 70w at stereo.

I really love the look of the Sonus but want the soundstage, detail, drive. I use to have the concerto's back in 1999. Will the floorstanders give better controlled bass and more drive?

Thanks a lot.

A

Anonymous

Both speakers will benefit from much better amplification.

Try them with Boston, Chord, Sugden.i

A

Anonymous

stew31:
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to keep to a tight budget but so want the detail and drive. Will the MONO X be too much for the Sonus and therfore just get the x powers which can be switched to mono for 110w a channel. 70w at stereo.

I really love the look of the Sonus but want the soundstage, detail, drive. I use to have the concerto's back in 1999. Will the floorstanders give better controlled bass and more drive?

Thanks a lot.

Really, best to listen with different amps. They do have a different sound to the older concertos, as you'd expect since they're floorstanders. I'd try them with the Cyrus then go to Unison Research or Naim - the XS as a minimum - for comparisons.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts