Improving stereo image.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right, speakers 3m from listening positiion, as the crow flies. and 2.5m apart. Do I toe them in, set them straight, cross their paths so the focus point is on the listening position, or before it?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Depending on what speakers have you got (and different rooms make they sound different too!).

In most case you will need a slight toe in so tweeter just pointing pass you sholder when you in the prime listening position. Move speakers in to the room does help created a wider soundstage but too far in and bass can become a bit light in many speakers.....keep trying, playing untill you get the result. My favourate bit when I have a new pair to play with
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks, but thats the hard way to do it. tweak then sit back down, tweak again..... Good excuse to listen to my music all day though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]I found (although whilst 3m away, they are only 1.5m apart - darn furnishings...) that straight on was best for me... But it could depend on the speakers. Have a play...[/quote]You really should be positioning the room round the hifi, not the other way round!
emotion-1.gif

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fast eddie"]ou really should be positioning the room round the hifi, not the other way round![/quote]

Wish that I could sir... but with 2 big chairs, a mahoosive sofa, 50" Rear-proj telly and fireplace (all in a 14'x11' room) there's precious little room to breath let alone position speakers
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

No dedication thats your problem, or maybe the fact there's probably a wife and kids kicking about causing havoc.
emotion-1.gif

Fortunatly my g/f doesn't live with me so has no say in the set up of the room
emotion-2.gif
I'll post pictures once my moves finished and everythings set up properly.[quote user="fatboyslimfast"][quote user="fast eddie"]ou really should be positioning the room round the hifi, not the other way round![/quote]

Wish that I could sir... but with 2 big chairs, a mahoosive sofa, 50" Rear-proj telly and fireplace (all in a 14'x11' room) there's precious little room to breath let alone position speakers
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

A

Anonymous

I found toeing them in till they were in front of my listening position gave me the best stereo image. From experimenting I have found it really is suck it and see (or hear) time. But this might be dictated by my room position as I am forced to have my speakers wide apart (well wider than I am away form their centre point). My wife dosent agree however, just mentioning the word listening position is enough to start world war 3. Why is speaker positioning not on the domestic compromize list?

A

Anonymous

Advice: take your spikes out while working out the ideal position, so you can slip slide and twisty easily.

Bear in mind: With your spikes you can tilt and pitch your speakers too. I like mine to very slightly point upwards.

Like Andrew asked: What speakers are we talking about here?

A

Anonymous

Put yourself at the apex of an equilateral triangle as your optimum listening position (many don't). So, if the speakers are 2.5 metres apart make your listening position exactly 2.5m from the mid point between the two speakers.

Are the tweeters at ear height ? If they are and the speakers are unobstructed by furniture (including coffee tables) then toe them in by about 5 degrees.

Is your hearing the best it could be ? At seventeen I had optimal hearing but now at 48 I know I can't hear much above 18k . Test it yourself using a test tone. If you have one ear which is better than the other then you need to adjust your listening postition to take account of the difference.

Finally. Try putting a tile or paver underneath your speaker stand and bring the speaker into the room slightly, away from walls, curtains etc. This can miraculously improve stereo definition when all else fails.

A

Anonymous

A paver is good advice. I put a granite chopping board (get them from Tescos) under each stand and I've got to say the improvement was astounding for such an outlay. I've also tried heavier style paving slabs a la landscape garden but they sort of mess up the decor somewhat.

huddo

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ryelane"]
Put yourself at the apex of an equilateral triangle as your optimum listening position (many don't). So, if the speakers are 2.5 metres apart make your listening position exactly 2.5m from the mid point between the two speakers.

Are the tweeters at ear height ? If they are and the speakers are unobstructed by furniture (including coffee tables) then toe them in by about 5 degrees.

Is your hearing the best it could be ? At seventeen I had optimal hearing but now at 48 I know I can't hear much above 18k . Test it yourself using a test tone. If you have one ear which is better than the other then you need to adjust your listening postition to take account of the difference.

Finally. Try putting a tile or paver underneath your speaker stand and bring the speaker into the room slightly, away from walls, curtains etc. This can miraculously improve stereo definition when all else fails.

[/quote]

What sort of floor do you have ??? Mines concrete (bungalow) surely mine are OK on spikes or would mine sound better on granite slabs ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts