Impressed By Set-Up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had the chance to hear an Arcam 9 amplifier, Arcam 8 CD Player, Arcam 8 Tuner, with Ruark Templar II speakers. It was, in my opinion rather modest when I first saw it - I have heard an Arcam Alpha system before and although it was good, it left me a little cold. Now this set-up I tested today utterly amazed me. I do not know whether it was the speakers, but it was just so...right. It had an airy sound, not what I would perceve as warm, but more naturally biased. The top end sort of wooshed with no sharp points or ear hurting frequencies and the bass although not increbily low was very musical and smooth. It truly was unforgettable, it's sound has stuck in my mind and I can't get it away. It has put my JVC to shame - which many systems I have heard before costing much more have not and it filled a 40" by 25" 12 foot high room easily even though it didn't seem particularly loud at 12 o'clock. It really was lovely. Anybody else had this experience with similar set-up?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You see, I think that was a great posting.

Never mind if I or anyone else agrees with you but you've heard something that made your day. Not just that, its probably within your reach pricewise (I'm not implying anything either way) and although not guaranteed the chances are it would sound nice in your home too.

Something to aim for and it was through listening you found it.

A

Anonymous

He He He. Cheers Drummerman, and don't worry about the price range thing 'cause it is exactly my pricerange and I am certainly aiming to buy one now - Arcam 9 amplifier that is, my disc spinner should be very similar as it is just an upgrade - cheers man!

A

Anonymous

Just thought I would add that I have never Luther Vandross Never Too Much sound so good (it was valantines day come on!) I think the word I am looking for is transparent.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Yup, every day my Arcam kit impresses me. My mate has MF kit with Tannoy floorstanders and mine wipes the floor with his.

A

Anonymous

It's impressions like these that make this hobby all worthwile, two weeks ago I heard the Pixies - Surfer Rosa (Where Is My Mind especially) through a Marantz SA15S1 and PM15S1 in a listening room and the KEF XQ10 and XQ20 speakers literally made my jaw drop to the floor. Even though I very much so like the sound of my B&W's these speakers made an impression on me that will surely last. Once I've upgraded my source, I'm going to save for new speakers, I'm sure of it!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You're right. I've had a pair of 601 s3 speakers and thought they were ok but not as musical as some Linn Index speakers I had, so I sold the B&Ws. Now sold the Linns and using Dali & ProAc and they are both a couple of decent steps up from the 601s. Deffo look to get some better speakers.

A

Anonymous

I just bought a used Marantz CD17MKII, I'm so excited. This should be a huge improvement over my CD5000, it'll mean that to get the best out of my set-up, I will definitely have to upgrade my speakers. Thing is, I do not find them lacking in musicaly, not one bit, but they can get a bit on the bassy side of things, and the highs are somewhat harsh at times. The latter is probably produced by my current source but we'll see when my new cd player comes in. :-D

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]I just bought a used Marantz CD17MKII, I'm so excited. This should be a huge improvement over my CD5000, it'll mean that to get the best out of my set-up, I will definitely have to upgrade my speakers. Thing is, I do not find them lacking in musicaly, not one bit, but they can get a bit on the bassy side of things, and the highs are somewhat harsh at times. The latter is probably produced by my current source but we'll see when my new cd player comes in. :-D[/quote]

You're right. The B&Ws just don't really suit my taste in music at home. Living room is for chilling with the Dalis, dining room/kitchen/breakfast room is where we entertain and that's where the ProAc Sigs are going.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I never have been an Arcam man even nothing wrong the few I've heard! it seem to me that Arcam's sound a bit too safe which can be a very good thing as they would gel in to most system and for someone that may make a lot of sense but me? I like my hifi to punch like a Mike Tyson but also must sing like Ella and have the timing of Britney
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

It's strange, that when your least expecting it a sytem will really impress you. l was round a mates house the other day, setting up a computer & he put on the Radio 1 live lounge (vol 2) Cd. It was played, not on a seperates sytem, but a Denon DM 33, through an old well worn, well settled pair of JPW Mini Monitors & it sounded fantastic!

l'm with Thaiman on the Arcam gear, tried it in the past, too safe & warm for my tastes.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My Arcam stuff works brilliantly on most things from Back to Mine & Groove Armada, through vocals like Cranberries to full on house from Seb F or James L.

Not quite so good on rock but then again who listens to rock.

It can be mellow, it can be punchy, I think it's very flexible,

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Joel

My Arcam set-up has hell of alot of power and presence, even more so with my M/A RS6 speakers run in

I've had Arcam and B&W for years now and have never thought that my system was 'warm and safe'. I think with the right speakers and source, Arcam amps are very good indeed.

It also depends on what music you play and how youve got the system set up, in what room etc...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jan Hibma"]I just bought a used Marantz CD17MKII, I'm so excited.[/quote]
Congratulations on your new addition Jan. Am sure you will have many hours of sonic bliss coming your way!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]I just bought a used Marantz CD17MKII, I'm so excited[/quote]

Well done
emotion-21.gif

the bass is totally addictive in the right set up.....very very musical player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts