Impact on amplifier of high volumes for extended times

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My friends are throwing a big party next weekend and I volunteered to use my DacMagic and Marantz amp but with my friend's speakers. Plan is to play very loud dance music for 6-7 hours! My guess is the volume knob will rest around noon-2pm (if not higher!) position for a loong time.

As far as I know, the amp should handle high volumes for extended period of time fairly well and its the speakers that may go sideways quickly- but is there any negative impact to the amp that I am not thinking of?

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Volume dial between 12 and 2pm on your Marantz amp. Are you headlining Global Gathering or something ?

In my house, with admitedly not huge rooms, my marantz amp, cd and B+W speaker combination are blasting at a volume you couldn't listen to for too long, between 11 and 12 on the dial.

Do you have neighbours ?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I look forward to next week's... "Help! Blown amp/speakers" thread.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

chebby:I look forward to next week's... "Help! Blown amp/speakers" thread.
emotion-15.gif

Well, I warned my friend about possibility of blown speakers.

But if you think I am running a chance of ruining my amp then I will pull out of the deal right away!

A

Anonymous

stevee1966:Volume dial between 12 and 2pm on your Marantz amp. Are you headlining Global Gathering or something ? In my house, with admitedly not huge rooms, my marantz amp, cd and B+W speaker combination are blasting at a volume you couldn't listen to for too long, between 11 and 12 on the dial. Do you have neighbours ?

Ok, maybe 2 o'clock will be too much but 12 o'clock is almost a given (depending how much speakers can handle).

All the neighbors will be at the party, too! We're expecting 70-80 people...!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I was just 'funnin' ya.

To be honest; what happens when amps or speakers are pushed to loud volumes is a mystery I have never felt tempted to explore even for short periods.

I would be more worried - in your situation - about someone resting their drinks on top of the amp or turning the volume around to the end stop! You can't be there glued to your gear every second and sods law will kick in with a vengeance the moment you leave it to go to the toilet or answer the door.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chainrock:
stevee1966:Volume dial between 12 and 2pm on your Marantz amp. Are you headlining Global Gathering or something ? In my house, with admitedly not huge rooms, my marantz amp, cd and B+W speaker combination are blasting at a volume you couldn't listen to for too long, between 11 and 12 on the dial. Do you have neighbours ?

Ok, maybe 2 o'clock will be too much but 12 o'clock is almost a given (depending how much speakers can handle).

All the neighbors will be at the party, too! We're expecting 70-80 people...!

You worry too much. It will be fine.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chainrock:
My friends are throwing a big party next weekend and I volunteered to use my DacMagic and Marantz amp but with my friend's speakers. Plan is to play very loud dance music for 6-7 hours! My guess is the volume knob will rest around noon-2pm (if not higher!) position for a loong time.

As far as I know, the amp should handle high volumes for extended period of time fairly well and its the speakers that may go sideways quickly- but is there any negative impact to the amp that I am not thinking of?

Anything much beyond 12 o'clock and all you'll be adding will be distortion, which is likely to take out the speakers rather than the amp. The amp has thermal protection, so will cut out if it overheats.

Best tip, learned the hard way many years ago at parties, is to hide the amp away somewhere, so that some well-lubricated fool doesn't decide to crank the level right up. Just make sure that where you hide has some space for air-flow.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
what are your friends speakers? How efficient are they and do they present a difficult load?

Try to get the speakers above head height in corner locations. Stick the amp under a table or somewhere it would be hard for it to take a drink. Take along some spare speaker cable and some tape so you can route the cabling in as idiot proof manner as possible.

Don't go mad with the bass control if you have one.

Crank the volume incrementally during the night. What seems loud at first seems less so after you've adjusted to it for 20 minutes or so. Start moderate and go louder from there.

Keep your fingers crossed or find bigger amp and more efficient speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys - good tips! I will try to expirement with these speakers first. They are Technics but not sure about specs.

Good idea about hiding the amp but I will need to keep ventilation in mind not to overheat it.

A

Anonymous

Just as a follow up:

We did have the party with about 80 people and it was a success. I didn't end up using my amp but used the DacMagic with a massive success. I streamed music over Itunes via USB to the DacMagic and then to our Bose 2.1 (with a large sub). To supplement I hooked up a Technics hi-fi with its own speakers to output of the Bose.

I couldn't believe the sound at very high volumes. The bass was very punchy and precise, the treble was accurate and detailed and mids were not overpowering. The last two parties we had just used 3.5mm output from soundcard feeding the Bose system and the sound was so terrible at high volumes that I had to adjust the equalizers a lot to get a listenable output.

The guests may or may not have noticed the improvement but I certainly did!

A

Anonymous

emotion-2.gif

Surprisingly, all of the equipment is still in tiptop shape.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts