I'm Totally Into Quad

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi Y'all:
I am new here, I was searching the Internet to see if there were any forums talking about Quadraphonic sound and it's modern incarnations. I am aware of QuadraphonicQuad, which I am a member of, and it's about all things multichannel (music). I ran across this one, and registered to see if there was any interest here. I did see some older posts, but couldn't find any recent ones. Wanna talk?
The Quadfather

abacus

Quadraphonic is long gone and was a 4 speaker system, (Designated 4) these days we have Dolby digital/DTX and there variations, with a basic system being designated 5.1, (5 speakers and 1 subwoofer) it is as simple as that.

Bill

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
The days of Quad recorded LPs are long gone, there is no current source material.
Replaced by multi-channel SACD to some degree but it's not the same and requires a completely different set of equipment.

The Quad LP's are still around, and can be found on Ebay. If you're into 70's music, which I am, you can amass quite a collection of them. Some of these recordings are released on modern formats such as SACD and DVD Audio. I guess those are considered dead formats as well, but material is still being released on them occasionally. I can play them all. I'm not the kind of person who threw away all my LP's when CD came out, not even my stereo ones. Certainly didn't throw out my quad recordings. My Oppo plays Blue Ray as well. Pink Floyd released their Early Years box set, and with a secret set of FLAC files that comprised the album "Meddle" in quad. It's incredible. So is Atom Heart Mother, which was not a secret file, but is quad. Quad can sound just as good as 5.1 because of the imaging effect. But I recognize that if you're a millennial or another younger age group and you don't listen to the older music, quad will hold no charm for you. That is not the purpose of my post. I was trying to determine if there is any interest here in quad, because if there is, I can answer questions about quad accurately. for those who want to know. If no one is interested, I'll move along.

The Quad LP's are still around, and can be found on Ebay. If you're into 70's music, which I am, you can amass quite a collection of them. Some of these recordings are released on modern formats such as SACD and DVD Audio. I guess those are considered dead formats as well, but material is still being released on them occasionally. I can play them all. I'm not the kind of person who threw away all my LP's when CD came out, not even my stereo ones. Certainly didn't throw out my quad recordings. My Oppo plays Blue Ray as well. Pink Floyd released their Early Years box set, and with a secret set of FLAC files that comprised the album "Meddle" in quad. It's incredible. So is Atom Heart Mother, which was not a secret file, but is quad. Quad can sound just as good as 5.1 because of the imaging effect. But I recognize that if you're a millennial or another younger age group and you don't listen to the older music, quad will hold no charm for you. That is not the purpose of my post. I was trying to determine if there is any interest here in quad, because if there is, I can answer questions about quad accurately. for those who want to know. If no one is interested, I'll move along.
I meant Quad LPs are no longer released not no longer available.
Good to hear you have an Oppo, so do I, and like you own every format under the sun.... except Quad LPs
And I am 64 so not a millennial.... :)

Mar 14, 2020
Visit site
I meant Quad LPs are no longer released not no longer available.
Good to hear you have an Oppo, so do I, and like you own every format under the sun.... except Quad LPs
And I am 64 so not a millennial.... :)

Yeah, not a lot of new music available on Quad, regardless of the format of the medium. One artist released a QS LP, that comes with a QS decoder circuit board. But most people wouldn't know what to do with a circuit board. It was pretty expensive as I recall. Not sure what kind of music it was, or who it was. The circuit board was made by Involve, who makes a modern decoder. I'm thinking about buying one, if I can't get my Audionics Space and Image Composer working again. Chips are made of unobtanium.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts