If you had a HiFi shop....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
and you could carry TEN brands only. Any ten, but they must make up your whole (excepting power conditioners and furniture/stands) product mix. What would you sell?

I'd sell:

-Simaudio (Best Hardware)
-Naim (Better Hardware)
-Roksan (Good Hardware)
-VPI
-Kimber Kable
-PMC
-Proac
-Dali
-Jolida (Tubed Fun)
-Benz Micro

John Duncan

Oh jeezy peeps....

Marantz
Creek
Primare
Tannoy
PMC
Wilson Benesch
Project
Ortofon
Chord (cables)
Sennheiser

They'd have to get their Airport Express and DACMagic in the Richer Sounds and Apple Stores in Kingston, obviously
emotion-5.gif

Messiah

Meridian (Ultra brilliant kit!)

Chord Electronis (Ultra brilliant and looks it!)

Cyrus (Well, I love 'em)

Pioneer (whole range of quality gear at a range of prices)

Marantz (whole range of quality gear at a range of prices)

Denon (whole range of quality gear at a range of prices)

B&W (whole range of packages and prices)

Monitor Audio (whole range of packages and prices but vastly different sound to B&W)

Pure (Well these little radios sell lots!)

Chord Comapny (Quality range of cables)

A

Anonymous

Oh dear, here goes:

Marantz
Yamaha
Naim
Meridian
Focal
B&W
Dynaudio
Dali
Pro-Ject
Supra

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Let's see:

AKG
AudioQuest
Benchmark
Marantz
Martin Logan
Monitor Audio
Musical Fidelity
Revel
Rotel
Slim Devices

A

Anonymous

easy:

Naim
ATC (speakers and electronics)
B&W
Chord Electronics
T+A
Arcam
Focal
Meridian
Kondo
Wilson Audio

A

Anonymous

Re: If you had a HiFi shop....

Chord Electronis (Ultra brilliant Hi End, great looks!)

Meridian (Brilliant kit!)

Cyrus (Benchmark in its price range)

Yamaha (Quality gear over a wide price range)

Onyko (Excellent AV at a range of prices)

B&W (whole range of packages, great 'style'.)

Monitor Audio (Range of packages and prices, vastly different sound to B&W. Traditional AV outstanding!)

PCM (lovely solution, music package plus source)

Samsung (Great ranges of TV's and equipment)

Chord Company (Quality cables)

A

Anonymous

Bose, Its just the best...

or actually:
Pro-ac
Nad
Naim
B&W
Kef
Moon
Pro-ject
Roksan
Primare
Linn (some higher price stuff)

although i'd have to listen to a load more stuff before i could commit to that list.

A

Anonymous

Rega,
Naim,
Roksan,
Musical Fidelity,
Spendor,
Proac,
Chord,
Quad,
Unison Research,
Fatman

T

the record spot

Rega
Audio Technica
Funk Firm
Q Acoustics
Audioquest
Marantz
Elac
McIntosh
Puresound
Audio Research

A

Anonymous

Primare

Plinius

Musical Fidelity

Naim

Monitor Audio

Elac

Spendor

B&W

Nordost

Siltech

ALTANPSX

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Magico (speaker)

Sonus Faber (speaker)

Usher (speaker)

Wilson Audio (speaker)

B&W (speaker)

ASR (ss amplifier)

Conrad Johnson (tube amps)

Thorens(turntable)

Esoteric (clokc, dac, transport)

Kimber (cables)

A

Anonymous

karmatogdral:
Primare

Plinius

Musical Fidelity

Naim

Monitor Audio

Elac

Spendor

B&W

Nordost

Siltech

Another vote for Spendor!
emotion-2.gif
I might consider swapping Naim for Harbeth but I'm not sure how many units I'd sell and Naim seems to shift boxes.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Based purely upon the 2-channel 'high-end music system' products i've personally heard,my choices would be:

Aesthetix & Aesthetix 'Signature' (Integrated amp.,outstanding hybrid pre/power amps. & phono stages)

Audio Research (CD players,DAC's.,integrated amps.,pre/power amps. & phono-stages.ARC components organic,naturally rounded & near-analogue sound,will have clients salivating - providing they've the means!)

Avalon Acoustics (Innovative design & use of technology.Eerily realistic & revealing speakers)

B&W (iPod dock,600 & 800 series speakers)

Bryston (Great CD player for the money - when properly set-up,DAC's,electronic crossovers,integrated amps.,wide variety of very competent pre/power amps.,external power-supply & a 20 year guarantee on most products.Says it all)

Chord Electronics (Highly resolving CD players - Even if they are quirky & un-ergonomic designs,DAC's.,integrated amps. & pre/power amps.)

EDIT:EMM Labs [Upsampling CD/SACD players,transports & DAC's.Which use Ed Meitners' proprietary software to upsample CD's(44.1kHz to 48kHz) & SACD's(2.822MHz) from their native sampling rate to double DSD's sampling rate ie. 5.644MHz!]

GamuT (CD player,integrated amps.,pre/power amps. & speakers)

Michell (Tonearms,turntables & accessories)

Nagra (Awesome CD player,DAC's.,pre/power amps.)

Plinius (CD player,integrated amps. & belting pre/power amps. - esp. Tautoro/SARef. combo.)

Peak Consult (Truly engaging,natural sounding speakers)

PMC (Speakers which punch well above their class.Perhaps,a nod of recognition to those not of the hoy-paloy!)

Rega (CD players,integrated amps.,pre/power amps.,speakers,tonearms,tuners,turntables & accessories- see above!)

EDIT:Simaudio - Moon (CD players,DAC's,excellent pre/power amps. - esp. 3 chassis P-8/W-8 combo.,multi-channel amps. & processors)

SME (Power-supplies,tonearms,turntables & accessories)

Sonus Faber (Always great looking but,now,even greater sounding speakers - particularly the Cremona & Homage collections.Shedding their previous saccharin syrupy,warm sound for one naturally smooth & sweet but,much better at resolving & revealing the music)

Spectral (CD player,interconnects/speaker cables,integrated amps. & mind-blowingly brilliant pre/power-amps.With expressive dynamics,holographic imaging & 3-dimensional sound-staging you'd be willing to give your right arm for!)

EDIT:Tannoy (Dual-Concentric driver loudspeakers.Produce a really coherent & grown-up sound - esp. Prestige series)

TEAC Esoteric (crisp sounding,full-scale dynamics retrieving & incredible detail resolving CD/SACD players,DAC's.,integrated amps.,pre/power-amps.,master-clock & speakers)

VPI (Synchronous drive system,tonearms,turntables & accessories)

OK.So i chose more than ten.

If i had to,i'd consider removing(only consider mind) Bryston,GamuT & Rega.

Any thoughts?

BABUR.

A

Anonymous

It sounds like a case of wanting to make a small fortune by starting with a big one!

These are all products that sell in tiny quantities to a tiny group of traditional audiophiles and it would be virtually impossible to earn a living from selling them.

You have to remember that there is only a point in owning or running a shop if people walking past it are likely to see anything they want.

I recommend a limitless advertising budget and turning over the front room! But I wouldn't give up the day job.

Ash

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Ashley James:It sounds like a case of wanting to make a small fortune by starting with a big one! These are all products that sell in tiny quantities to a tiny group of traditional audiophiles and it would be virtually impossible to earn a living from selling them.

Hi Ash,

Your point could be construed as an alternative definition of high-end Hi-Fi's 'rule of diminishing returns' - ie. the dealer's dwindling profits!

Well,in light of our current,precarious economic predicament i quite agree with your sentiments.But,there are still some hardy(some may say fool-hardy) souls who are endeavouring to cater for these niche markets...God bless every one of 'em!

A High-end Hi-Fi dealer is for life...Not just for Christmas.

BABUR

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Babur72:

Avalon Acoustics (Eerily realistic sounding & revealing speakers)

Great speakers but you will have to deal with Audiofreaks! I rather stock cheapo Ariston than deal with BK!

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:Babur72:

Avalon Acoustics (Eerily realistic sounding & revealing speakers)

Great speakers but you will have to deal with Audiofreaks! I rather stock cheapo Ariston than deal with BK!

Hi Thaiman,

I wholeheartedly concur with your opinion of the Avalon's(a mutual friend of me & my cousin,who lives in Maryland,owns a pair of Isis speakers).But,what exactly did you mean by 'I rather stock cheapo Ariston than deal with BK!'?

Have you ever had a bad experience with them? I'd appreciate you letting me know if you have,as it would be good for me to keep in mind for future reference.

Cheers.

BABUR.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Baber,I known many High end dealers who wouldn't deal with him no matter how much money can be make from his products. I had 2 or 3 conversations with him before and while he wasn't come across rude, still I felt uncomforthable while asking questions, may be his nick name "Hifi Gangster" have something to do with it.

So NO! I never "personally" have any bad experience with AudioFreaks but I have heard many stories in dealers circle that enough for me to stay away from dealing direct with him (as much as I love to own Karan KPA S450 one day) You can't knock his company for importing awesome products such as...Avalon, Karan, Cardas, Zanden to name but a few, all are highly respected name in Highend Hifi. I just rather believe my friends and stay away...personally.

Back to the subject of OP, I properly stocked as follow

1. Cyrus (well known, sound impressive on quick demo so easy to sell)

2. Naim (apart from the early Nait, they always come up with great products)

3. Neat (becuase I would be stocking the above brand)

4. Densen (for those who like Naim sound but don't want Naim...wired reason I know!)

5. AVI (British brands that tune for Brit's ears)

6. Plinius (now a very trendy brand, look smart and sound rather good)

7. Stello (as a fan of value for money products)

8. Electrocompaniet (slogan said it all...."if music really matters")

9. Marantz (again, strong brand name, sound good from budget all the way to high end)

10. ART Acoustics (because I never ever heard anything quite like them, still got my pair
emotion-21.gif
)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
Baber,I known many High endÿdealers who wouldn't deal with him no matter how much money can be make from his products.ÿ I had 2 or 3 conversations with him before and while he wasn't come across rude, still I felt uncomforthable while asking questions, may be his nick name "Hifi Gangster"ÿhave something to do with it.ÿ

So NO! I never "personally" have any bad experience with AudioFreaks but I have heard many stories in dealers circle that enough for me to stay away fromÿdealing direct with himÿ(as much as I love to own Karan KPA S450ÿone day)ÿ You can't knock his company for importing awesome products such as...Avalon, Karan, Cardas, Zanden to name but a few, all are highly respected name in Highend Hifi.ÿ I just rather believe my friends and stay away...personally.

Back to the subject of OP, I properly stocked as follow

1. Cyrus (well known, sound impressive on quick demo so easy to sell)

2. Naim (apart from the early Nait, they always come up with great products)

3. Neat (becuase I would be stocking the above brand)

4. Densen (for those who like Naim sound but don't want Naim...wired reason I know!)

5. AVI (British brands that tune for Brit's ears)

6. Plinius (now a very trendy brand, look smart and sound rather good)

7. Stello (as a fan of value for money products)

8. Electrocompaniet (slogan said it all...."if music really matters")

9. Marantz (again, strong brand name, sound good from budget all the way to high end)

10. ART Acoustics (because I never ever heard anything quite like them, still got my pair
emotion-21.gif
)ÿ

Can I interest you in an Arcam T61 tuner Thaiman?

ÿ

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Joel and no thanks bud, I don't need a tuner (or arcam
emotion-4.gif
) as Talksports is only station I listening to at home so any wireless should be good enough for "porky" Parry's voice.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You see my reception is very poor (as you'd expect living in a backwater like London) and I can't get AM. Not so good on Saturday afternoons, or Sunday these days

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I looove electrocompaniet and densen... the Scandinavians must have such a low murder rate because they're all home listening to music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts