If What Hi-Fi was test your current...

...system up against the modern price compatible equivilents, how do you think it would fare?

TBH, given WHFIs exacting standards I doubt (or surprised) if my system managed 3 stars.

Obviously, posters who own known (or rated by WHFI) combos is not included, but those who have a mix 'n' match system and may have a component that's a few years old. What do you think?...

T

the record spot

Well, given as the magazine favours "excitement" in some products, as noted in this month's issue, I'd say I wouldn't get a five star review. I'd guess at a four though.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Well if it's double blind testing.......................
smiley-wink.gif

Mind you, if you'd seen my setup, you would understand the need for blind testers.
smiley-smile.gif

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Being out of the scene for so long I have no idea, but if they ever get around to comparing old for new, they are welcome to dip into my museum any time!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
They liked my music-centre and telly (5 stars each) but would probably think my speakers are pants when they find out they can't stun small animals at great distances and don't have enough bass 'slam' to rupture internal organs :)

It might be different if the review team could be persuaded to stop chewing gum, switch off their MP3 players, remove their earphones and pull down their hoods when listening, but - given that the school lunch break is already very short - it's probably too much hassle to arrange.

Feeling old, Chebby?
smiley-wink.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
They liked my music-centre and telly (5 stars each) but would probably think my speakers are pants when they find out they can't stun small animals at great distances and don't have enough bass 'slam' to rupture internal organs :)

It might be different if the review team could be persuaded to stop chewing gum, switch off their MP3 players, remove their earphones and pull down their hoods when listening, but - given that the school lunch break is already very short - it's probably too much hassle to arrange.

John Duncan said:
Well since my Uniti is the actual one which was tested for (and won) the award last year, I think I'd be cheating :D

Mmmmmm - I said in my orginal post no 'known combos'. Go on go...put your Highland Vuvuzalas down and go and stand in the corner with your hands on your head.
smiley-laughing.gif

(I can say these things now he no longer works for Haymarket...
smiley-wink.gif
)

A

Anonymous

I have to be honest and say that I rarely read any reviews so wouldn't be in a position to comment. Not a big fan of the star rating system used by so many magazines either as they are a bit meaningless.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
OK, for the record, I have:

EMT 930st turntable with EMT TSD15 SPH cartridge with built in EMT 155st phono amplification (total cost £2800)

EMT 950 E turntable with EMT TSD 15 SFL cartridge (cost £2250)

Lightspeed LDR passive pre-amp (£310 new)

Amp and speaker combination (a) Pioneer SF-700 active crossover (£160) into Coincident Frankenstein 300b prototype monobloks (£1600) plus Avondale homebrew power amp (£650) into Bozak Symphony speakers (£500)

Amp and speaker combination (b) Coincident Frankenstein 300b prototype monobloks (£1600) into Electro Voice Sentry III speakers (£500)

So, how do you guys think my kit would compare against the What Hi-fi 5 star components?

What Hi-fi would be welcome to bring round any of their 5 star components or systems to compare against my equipment. I think it would be very interesting to compare them. Or indeed anyone else, would be welcome to bring their kit round to my place in West Yorkishire for a comparative listening session.

To be honest, I would be surprised if any similarly priced 5 star components sounded as good as my components. That's simply because of the immense value for money that you can get by buying 2nd hand instead of new or nearly new. And to a lesser extent because far too many modern speakers prioritise WAF over outright sound quality.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Grottyash said:
I have to be honest and say that I rarely read any reviews so wouldn't be in a position to comment. Not a big fan of the star rating system used by so many magazines either as they are a bit meaningless.

Sounds perfectly logical that you've made over 1000 posts on this forum, then...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Lindsay, your system description sounds half 1950s cinema and half 1970s BBC studio :)

I wish I could get to hear one of those EMT set-ups. Although, actually, I probably have. Thousands of times.

A

Anonymous

I guess I would get 4 stars but should score higher on value for money as I've never paid full price (perhaps on the odd cable). Most of my system was s/h and even the Wilson Benesch speakers which I bought new I only paid 2/3 of the current list price.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
but would probably think my speakers are pants when they find out they can't stun small animals at great distances and don't have enough bass 'slam' to rupture internal organs :)

You do actually read the magazine, don't you...?

Andrew Everard said:
chebby said:
but would probably think my speakers are pants when they find out they can't stun small animals at great distances and don't have enough bass 'slam' to rupture internal organs :)

You do actually read the magazine, don't you...?

I don't - just look at the pictures.

Actually, Andrew... no silly question.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a Naim system which breaks some of the golden rules of the hallowed hierarchy, so I would probably be told off. By the way, shouldn't the thread title be 'If What Hifi WERE to test...'? (sorry)

A

Anonymous

my system would definately get 5 stars, my speakers are current 5 stars and my amp only cost £99.95 so if it wasn't a 5 star winner when reviewed at the full rrp it would have been at a ton, so 5 stars all round :)

John Duncan

chebby said:
but would probably think my speakers are pants when they find out they can't stun small animals at great distances and don't have enough bass 'slam' to rupture internal organs :)It might be different if the review team could be persuaded to stop chewing gum, switch off their MP3 players, remove their earphones and pull down their hoods when listening, but - given that the school lunch break is already very short - it's probably too much hassle to arrange.

So that's Tom, what about the rest of them?

John Duncan

maxflinn said:
my system would definately get 5 stars, my speakers are current 5 stars and my amp only cost £99.95 so if it wasn't a 5 star winner when reviewed at the full rrp it would have been at a ton, so 5 stars all round :)
Where did you get a 7001 for a hundred quid?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I would really like if WHF would review my set up. But not in my house as the acoustic quality is nowehere near their testing room.

The only item in my set up that was reviewed by WHF is the ProAc D18. Hence, it would be nice for them to rate my set up although to my ears is already a 5 star set up
smiley-cool.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
maxflinn said:
Where did you get a 7001 for a hundred quid?

Richer Sounds I believe. I told him at the time it was bargain, sold my old 7001 a few weeks ago for double that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts