If resurrecting classic hi-fi is in, we want these 8 products brought back to life

BClarkeVA

Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
Very good article. Though I've been an audio enthusiast for nearly 40 years, perhaps its because I'm U.S.-based that I hadn't heard of most of these specific models. I'll be on the lookout for them in used product venues.

Bob C

BClarkeVA

Feb 22, 2023
Visit site
Oh, I think we in the U.S. can compete - but I'd agree, Europe, and particularly UK have a history of developing unique and creative audio products. I'm very pleased with my Celestion SL700s and 100s, Linn LP12, and Rega RP300 (I'm sure I'm forgetting something...).

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
First, as a 73 y.o. old timer I'd ike to revive me! :D. And I'd like to reappear as at the time M.F. released the B1. This 25W input + vol integrated was, in the final sentence of a review by The Gramaphone mag as, "Unnecessarily good." It was better than that.

I had mine for 30 years [and another 2nd hand one on standby in case the first went down] and reluctantly parted with it only because I needed digital inputs. Like the A1 in ran warm. Not as hot as the A1 but you wouldn't want to put another unit on top of it.

A new version of the B1 please, M.F., with digital in, USB and B/tooth, for Cambridge CXA61 money

uksnapper

Feb 23, 2023
Visit site
I bought most of my kit in the late 70s,still using it and my hearing has fine tuned to the sounds of the Quad 33 and 405 combo, Ram 700 speakers and Rega deck.New additions in the 80s included Arcam Alpha 7 Tuner, Nakamichi cassette deck,still going strong, plus a Rega CD player in the late 90s to bring me into the digital age.
I cant ever see myself changing anything.

Reactions: Mr. C Nation

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
I bought most of my kit in the late 70s,still using it and my hearing has fine tuned to the sounds of the Quad 33 and 405 combo, Ram 700 speakers and Rega deck.New additions in the 80s included Arcam Alpha 7 Tuner, Nakamichi cassette deck,still going strong, plus a Rega CD player in the late 90s to bring me into the digital age.
I cant ever see myself changing anything.
Chapeau, monsieur, for sticking with great kit that produces the result that you enjoy. and not chasing shadows 'upgrading' .

You mention your hearing 'fine tuning'. This is an issue not many hi-fi 'enthusiasts' take into account.

Apart from the 'law of diminishing returns' in terms of the cost of kit -

1] objectively, is a £5000 amp 10 x better than a £500 amp?

2] In your norml listening environment, could you tell the difference?

3] Nobody's hearing improves with age. Quite the reverse.

I have lost a lot of top end in my left ear from inadequate ear protection on the firing range 5 days a week in summer terms. The high frequency crack from a Lee-Enfild Mk IV has produced tinnitus, exacerbated by the default entry into pro photography - shooting live gigs.

Despite the fact that I know the kit I have could be 'upgraded', the return, in terms of improved output leading to increased pleasure at the results, would be 'retail therapy' rather than reaslistic spending.

But don't tell the hi-fi mags that!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts