If money does not matter what would you buy ?

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
What would you choose if you would not need to pay for your hifi streamer, amplifier, speakers, cables etc ?

I just want to find out what you reckon what is the best of the best on this planet.

Here my selections:

CDP: 1 ) Naim Audio CD 555+ CD555 PS

2) Accuphase DP 800/ Dc 801

streamer: 1) Linn Klimax DS/ 1

2) Naim NDS + 555 PS

Preamp: 1) Audio Research Reference Anni

2) Accuphase C-2820

Amp: 1) Unison 845 Absolute SE

2) Ayre MX- R

Speakers: 1) Isophon Berlina RC 11

2) Wilson Audio Maxx 3

DAC : 1) Audio Research DAC 8

2) MBL 1511F

I am waiting for your suggestions now ( don´t take it too serious ! )

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
NaimUniti 2 and a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs.

A couple of Ruark Audio (Vita) R4is.

Accuphase integrated amp (E-560 with two optional DAC 20 modules fitted) plus max'ed out iMac (or two) and some more Harbeths.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I'd build my own house and have a dedicated hi fi/home cinema room. Not sure what gear...so many choices! Stop dreaming!!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AVA Rip-N-Play, Classe CP800 pre, Classe CAM600 monoblocks, KEF Blades.

I would probably get more extravagant with a real high end turntable, but I just love the look of the Gyro SEduction, so it'd be one of those with an SME V arm.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Being a sucker for blue lighting, it'd probably be Chapter Audio Sonnet-S CDP, Preface-S Preamp and a pair of Couplet 1000S power amps, biamping a pair of B&W 802Ds.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
balls to any of that. Surely if money is no object, you go to a manufacturer and get them to make exactly what you want, none of this off the shelf rubbish :D

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd build a dedicated 7.1 home cinema / gaming / music listening room.

For the source I'd use a ridiculously expensive custom built PC. For the screen I'd use a JVC DLA-X70R projecter. For the audio I'd use seven AVI ADM40 speakers with an AVI 800 watt 18" subwoofer. Using the 'pre-outs' of any good quality modern AV receiver would be fine to do the decoding work so I wouldn't spend much money here.

The total cost would be about £30,000.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Software choice: the entire collection of Tape Project reel to reel tapes.

Sources: Studer A820 reel to reel tape machine, fully serviced and with optimum settings for Ampex tape.

EMT 950 or Pioneer Exclusive P3a for vinyl.

Benchmark DAC1 for digital.

Amp: No traditional pre-amp. Not required.

Solid state amp: Urei 6500 or 6290.

Valve amp: Coincident Frankenstien 300b, or Jeff Korneff 45 or custom built 45 based SET amp. Resistor based volume control with these valve amps.

Speakers:

Quad ESL 2905's for chamber music, EV Patricians for rock, pop and jazz. Or maybe some homebrew speakers built into baffles on an internal wall.

Large well furnished room in detached house well away from neighbours. Vinyl source and amps in different room to speakers. Or vinyl source and valve amps on Stratton Technologies Halcyonics i4 or Active Workstation 780 supports.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard anything in that price range...so I have no idea really.

I think spending a wodge on a dedicated soundproofed room that could house massive speakers would be the first step.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
steve_1979 said:
For the screen I'd use a JVC DLA-X70R projecter

Surely you'd go for a genuine 4K2K PJ? Especially it you're going for a 'rediculously expensive' PC as a source - which will surely be 4K2K compatible? :)

Yes you're right, it would make more sense to have a higher resolution projector if using a PC. I don't really know much about projectors though so I'd need to do more research if I really had the money to buy one. :)

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Rick@musicraft, I believe you made very good suggestions

Gryphon and Chord ........is music to my ears !

Are you selling those brands ?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
(providing I could move to a bigger place). I'd be looking at something like the Adam Tensor Alpha. Proper full-range actives and I'd still use Squeezebox.

I'd also have a nice 5.1 system. Yamaha Aventage RXA3020, a 55" LG OLED screen and a Dali 5.1 system. Epicon 8, 2 and vokal with a pair of Euphonia subs.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
@ frog

the Adam are certainly also an interesting choice, but the Sqeezebox ??? I do not know why so many people like it so much in this forum. May be one or the other professional dealer can give us a neutral opnion about this streamer.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This is more about space issue than money issue.. On second thoughts it is still money issue as I am unable to buy a home which could accomodate such a system. My current money-no-issue set up in such a home is

HT:

Oppo BDP 95 + Classe SSP-800 + Arcam P777 + AG Strada 7 speakers on walls + B&W DB-1 2 subwoofers - All of them calibrated / EQ'ed properly

HiFi:

Pathos Musiteca + Classe CP-800 + Pathos Adrenalin + Vivid Gaya - Still keen to use EQ on CP-800 to calibrate any room challenges

Now-a-days I prefer to hide the electronics in wall or atleast partly-hide and show only the front facia and this is becoming more important as time passing by!

Hi kungula

I would have the following two channel systems -

ATC SCM300 professional monitors, ATC SCM 0.1/15 professional subwoofers (x2), SCA2 pre amplifier, Chord Electronics Red Reference MK3 CDP, Chord Electronics DSX 1000 Network player,

Chord Electronics Red Reference MK3, DSX 1000, Chord Electronics CPA8000, Chord Electronics SPM14000 MK2, Dynaudio Consequence, JL Audio Gotham subwoofers (x2)

Krell Ciper, Krell Phantom, Krell Evolution 900e, Chord Electronics DSX 1000, Dynaudio Consequence, JL Audio Gotham subwoofers (x2)

Gryphon Scorpio, Chord Electronics DSX 1000, Gryphon Mirage, Gryphon Mephisto Solo, Gryphon Posedion

Pioneer A-400, Chord Electronics Red Reference MK3, Chord Electronics DSX 1000, Dyunadio Contour S 5.4

For an AV sound system -

Chord Electronics DSP8000 AV processor, ATC SCM300 professional monitors (x5), ATC SCM 0.1/15 professional subwoofers (x5)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
kungula said:
@ frog

the Adam are certainly also an interesting choice, but the Sqeezebox ??? I do not know why so many people like it so much in this forum. May be one or the other professional dealer can give us a neutral opnion about this streamer.

It has a bit perfect output. I don't believe that money buys you better in SQ terms, and in useability and functionality it's unbeatable.

I'd need a decent DAC/Pre too, probably get that from a pro audio shop :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts