IEMs and DAC/amp for Android and later, IOS.

Friesiansam

First up, I love my Pathos Converto MK2 and Focal Elegias but, they tie me to my PC in the study. What I would like is to be able to listen to music in the lounge with my feet up sometimes. I am considering a Dragonfly Cobalt and Shure SE425s. Based on reviews they should provide sound quality that will keep me happy, the kit I am using has set my expectations high and, reviews suggest the SE425s have good noise isolation, whilst being wired and without ANC. Any thoughts, especially with regard to possible alternative IEMs? That the SE425s are not the latest thing doesn't bother me. BTW, at first I will be using my Samsung Galaxy S8 then, later on, an iPhone 12, also the budget for the IEMs can be higher if it's going to make a nice difference.

SteveR750

I would suggest checking out the LZ-A5 and the BASN Bmaster IEMs. Both punch way above their price points. There's a lot of info on the LZ phones on head-fi, not much on the Bmaster unless you go searching in musician forums, especially drumming.

Friesiansam

The BASNs look like budget devices, which is not what I aiming at and, there seems to be a dearth of reviews. As for the LZs, they do look interesting and reviews seem good but, I can't find them at UK based retailers or Amazon UK, which rules them out as it's not likely to be easy to return them if I don't get on with them. Thanks for your input though.

Edit: As well as the Shure SE425s, I am also considering the SE535s. Both, apparently, offer very good sound isolation without ANC, which is important.

Last edited:
Surely your main issue here is the type of connection especially when moving to the iPhone.
Also check out the 1More range, they are excellent or higher up the obravo cupid (one of the best of have owned in this price range)

Friesiansam

Have been chatting with friends on another forum where I am much more active, had speaks with the wife, considered my budget, not spending money on anything else for the foreseeable future.

Upshot; Chord Mojo and Shure SE535s on the way. Should be good enough, providing the IEMs suit my ears, that I won't feel like they give away much compared to my desktop setup.

D

Deleted member 188533

That style IEM just won't stay sealed in my ears. If you have the same problem check out the Etymotic ER4SR or ER4XR.

I've never used the Mojo and I know it's recommended everywhere but the impression I get is that it's way overpriced for what it offers. It certainly doesn't measure very well. Not that measurements are everything.

SteveR750

The BASN phones punch way above their price, I bought them after reading some comments in another thread, someone sold their westone W80. I think they are better than the LZ A4 that I have, so you can't always be guided by price. Did you read the reviews in some of thd drummers forums, where Shure iems are common too.

Friesiansam

The BASN phones punch way above their price, I bought them after reading some comments in another thread, someone sold their westone W80. I think they are better than the LZ A4 that I have, so you can't always be guided by price. Did you read the reviews in some of thd drummers forums, where Shure iems are common too.
I remember that comment about the BASNs, somehow it didn't ring true to me. Can't say I frequent drummer's forums but, my own experience of Shure has been good, as has that of others I talked to online. We'll see how they go...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts