Icon 25 and which speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there all,
This is my first post here - so nice to meet you all and thanks in advance for your replies.

I am in the process of finally returning to my audiophile roots (the kids are old enough to trust to not trash my gear).

I have a Linn Axis turntable the Rega Planet CD player as my front end which I have had for a long time.
In my younger days I always lusted after the valve amp sound, but they were out of my price range.
Not so now and it's time to indulge myself.
I am looking to get the Icon Stereo 25 amp with the KT88 upgrade, paired with the PS1 phono stage.
This gets me to the outer limit of my budget, so please don't bother recommending more expensive amps.
The KT88 upgrade will give me 55W per channel.
I will be listening at low volumes in a relatively small room. (4.5m x 6.5m).
Musical tastes are wide, but a cross section would be Dire Straits, Lloyd Cole, Pink Floyd, Beatles, as well as some funk and acid jazz.
Now, the trick is going to be pairing the right speakers. I currently have a pair of B&W 602's which I love, but the wife hates the stands. So my solution is to get some floor standing speakers to replace them. (better aesthetic for her, and I get to go speaker shopping again!)

I love B&W and the CM7's seem really nice and on budget. However I do know that the B&W's like a bit of grunt driving them.

Do you think the Stereo 25 at 55W will be enough to drive these babies at relatively tame volumes?

Also, to help me understand what to look for in the tech specs of a speaker - what gives me an indication of the sensitivity?
The specs on the CM7's say the recommended amp power is 30-150W. So would this suggest that the 55W of my 25 would be OK, or too close to the low end?

Other speakers I have been considering are Wharfdale Evo 30's. and Kef iQ70's.

But to be honest I haven't really had a chance to go out and do much auditioning yet - still in internet research stage.
And don't worry - I know my ears are the best test.

Thanks for your help and happy new year.

Bunyip

T

the record spot

The CM7s are rated at 88db so your amp (great choice by the way) should be fine at 55wpc. The higher the db number, the better able a low wattage amp will drive them. My Missions are 89db so work well with my amp (30wpc) and likewise with many others too. That's from an operational perspective though and bears no relation on how well they'll partner each other when you hear them together. A different set of criteria altogether!

Nice components though, and especially the amp - got a lot of time for the likes of Icon Audio, NVA, etc...more power to their elbow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts