i want better sound

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
hello everybody ! this is my first message in the board so i'd like to thank you all for the existance of this forum, i think it's very important to all of us hi-fi enthusiasts :)

so, i have the following gear : nad integrated amp 3100 (1993 or so model, 60w @ 8ohm) , kef iq3, marantz 5001 cd. the sound is very good, in my ears but due to the fact that nad mutes one or both channels randomly from time to time, and as i want to move the amp+speakers set to my sister's i want to buy new gear...ready to spend about 1500 for amp(s) + speakers

would consider for speakers anything from atc/proac/epos/(love the callas range, but i think they're too expensive) , dunno what to do with amps ... 've been hearing bad things about the construction (in china) of the new nad's.. (i wonder what makes (beyond the expensive pricerange plinius,mcintosh and so on) are nowadays NOT being manufactured in china, can you name a few if any exists..)

i listen to everything many different genres, although lately it's mainly classic jazz recordings (1955-1965) + classic/psychedelic/progressive- rock plus blues (1967-1974) and a bit of classical ..

tomorrow i have a day-off from work so i'll go and do audition some sets... one will be :

evo creek amp + the new epos m12i -----------> what's your opinion for that set?

any other smart solutions to improve the sound, my listening room is kinda small , about 13-14 sq. metres. and there is no much space from where the speakers are placed to the walls....

please suggest what you think should fit my space and make me happy with its sounds !!!

thank you in advance !

indietronic

p.s. i've got an old (80s) thorens turntable too, nowadays i listen to records less and less, anyway i've got the denon 102 cartridge, so if you suggest an amp with a phono/mc out it would make me more glad !

A

Anonymous

I think you shouldn't let 'made in china' affect your decision. As long as the manufacturer maintains the same quality control it doesn't make a difference where the product is assembled. The individual components of anything made in the UK or Denmark or Canada still come from china for the most part.

Speakers:
Totem Rainmakers
Rega R3
B&W CM1 or CM7
Totem Hawk or Forest
Neat Motive 2

Make sure to demo the Nait5i and the Primare I21.

Thats my two cents.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]I think you shouldn't let 'made in china' affect your decision. As long as the manufacturer maintains the same quality control it doesn't make a difference where the product is assembled. The individual components of anything made in the UK or Denmark or Canada still come from china for the most part.
[/quote]

You just have to look at the replica audiolabs, indistinguishable from the real thing. Just dont go swimming with it
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I think you may find the Creek Evo is made in china :) It's bloody good though!

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
some store in my area seems to have a pair of castle warwick 3 (left in its warehouse) the speakers as you know is from the good ol' "made in england" era....

what do you think of this ? ?600 as a bargain, its price being.

also would it match well with what amp ???

please if you suggest speakers match it with the appropriate amp, in your opinion.. thanx

John Duncan

Hi - based on your listening preferences, I have a feeling you might find the Evo a bit 'lively', though you may wish to consider their Classic, which is more neutral and may be more suited. Made in Engerland, but I feel this is irrelevant nowadays to be honest unless you have an ethical objection.

Second also the vote for the Primare i21.

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Hi - based on your listening preferences, I have a feeling you might find the Evo a bit 'lively', though you may wish to consider their Classic, which is more neutral and may be more suited. Made in Engerland, but I feel this is irrelevant nowadays to be honest unless you have an ethical objection.

Second also the vote for the Primare i21.[/quote]

you mean this : http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/main_product.asp?prolook=Classic_5350SE

with this : http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products/m12i.php

should match better ? how much more expensive is the classic than the evo amp ?

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
hm, tomorrow is coming closer :)

what about the Castle Acoustics Warwick 3 ? those or the new epos m12i ??

will i hear a better sound compared to my kef iq3 and nad ? (i guess they could match well with a creek classic 5350 se, as some of you said, i'll have a try)

btw, where are the epos m12i manufactured ? the creek classic & destiny series are said to be made in england.. (call it ethical objection or what , hehe, just want to know)

thank you again, bear in mind that i'd prefer bookself speakers...

A

Anonymous

The warwick's a great speaker but there's no way it'll sound better than the m12i, technology marches on... As for buying made in england... you're paying a more for less. imo

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]As for buying made in england... you're paying a more for less. imo[/quote]

Disagree. Unless Rega and cyrus are made in the far east.

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
had a chance to audition 'em all... epos m12i is just right for me.... i think it's a perfect match with the evo amp...

anyways, just fell in love with my soon-to-be-my-new-speaker , and this time the feeling is strong...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="indietronic"]
had a chance to audition 'em all... epos m12i is just right for me.... i think it's a perfect match with the evo amp...

anyways, just fell in love with my soon-to-be-my-new-speaker , and this time the feeling is strong...

[/quote]

A good choice and obviously there's synergy with the speakers and Creek'ss products. Another triumph over MA's and B&W's 6 series. There's hope yet for mankind.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="indietronic"]

[/quote]

sounds like you found 'the one'!! May you grow old together in happiness (or something like that) :)

A

Anonymous

I have had many systems over the years, and the most musical, enjoyable one was without a doubt a Quad 33/303 coupled with Roger LS7 speakers with a Thorens deck/ hadcock arm!
I did mods to the speakers (high end crossovers) and fitted a upgraded Cyrus PSX to the Quad (which I reconditioned) to provide the power supply after it had given me many years of use.
Just food for thought

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts