i want a nice slim and small av reciever for ps3, pc and V+

jamestay1

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
i'm looking for a small ,slim av receiver to connect to my ps3,samsung V+ and pc.

i only want to connect 2 speakers, i looked at hifi amps but they don't have optical connections.

any help would be great.

thanks

A

Anonymous

3795623698_d7b5f15883.jpg
marantz nr1501...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
An older model Cambridge Audio amp I owned had an optical input. Not sure if this applies to the Azur 340A (£129 at Richer Sounds)? Checked online but couldn't find any mention of an optical input on this newer model. Might be worth a phone call to RS tomorrow, though.

A

Anonymous

why use optical ? why not hdmi from ps3 to marantz ? component for anything else ...

A

Anonymous

reviews are good strapped , afaik its going cheap too , £290 iirc , down from an initial rrp of £450 ..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Haven't seen many reviews, but a quick scout suggests it's a pretty good receiver. If the OP only wants an amp for stereo duties, however, not sure how it would perform compared with a dedicated stereo amplifier?

Then again, if the OP ever wants to upgrade to a full surround set up then it would leave that option open...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Only by default after looking at stereo amplifiers.
emotion-5.gif

Many of my posts of late have been written in haste and perhaps without due consideration. I must remember in future: read posts in full... digest information... contemplate response before typing...

Let's see if that approach works!

A

Anonymous

ah thats no fun , its much more exiting to just hastily post what comes into your head , and hope for the best
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

assuming you mean heart in your mouth england ? ill buy that ...
emotion-1.gif

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
jamestay1:i'm looking for a small ,slim av receiver to connect to my ps3,samsung V+ and pc.

i only want to connect 2 speakers, i looked at hifi amps but they don't have optical connections.

any help would be great.

thanks
A DAC/Integrated Amp or Beresford Caiman/Power Amp combo would fit the bill. Plug your PS3 and V+ into the optical/coaxial digital inputs and the PC into the USB input on the DAC, which then feeds the amp. Most budget DACs are very small, so the extra box would not make that big an impact (something like the MF V-DAC can be tucked away out of sight).

I'm assuming you already have speakers. If not, and your budget allows, then this complete system would also work nicely. Although, unlike my first suggestion, I'm not sure where you could audition it. Apart from the Five Ways store in Birmingham, I don't know anyone else that stocks them.

jamestay1

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
£200 amp and speakers.

i had a pioneer vsx-c100 then a denon 1507 both with 5.1 speakers but i got fed up with all the cables but now i miss the sound.

but i only want 2 bookshelf speakers.so no subwoofer.

thanks for the help so far.

A

Anonymous

then the marantz is out ..

you will have to buy 2nd hand id say , it may just be possible to get a new av receiver and a pair of speakers for £200 , but id say ebay would give you better quality for the money ...

do you use ebay ?

A

Anonymous

ok , it looks like ebay is the place to buy then , ill have a gander at a few amps there , but for your budget , you wont get slimline even 2nd hand imo ..

A

Anonymous

perhaps something like this with these if you can get em within budget ...

to be honest there will be hundreds of combinations on ebay , id stick with the well known brands in as good as condition as possible ...

jamestay1

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
the av receiver is too big,i would love a amp that size but due to space it's got to be slim.i could get a hifi amp but they don't have optical (toslink) connections ( i need 2 of these).

thanks

jamestay1

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
i only need 2 speakers and a amp. i've got a dvd recorder and ps3 to play my discs.a subwoofer would be great but they're too big.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts