I tunes library

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning all

Could anyone let me have an easy to understand way of creating 2 librarys one for lossless and the other for lower bitrate.Many thanks

Murray 

A

Anonymous

Thanks John

Will check in teatime, off to see if anyone in London wants a blackcabÿ

John Duncan

OK - taking a look at some threads on the subject, none of which is terribly clear about the best way to go about things, so let's take a look at your particular situation and I'll see if I can advise. Presumably you are looking at having two versions of music - one lossless for hifi playback on your system, and one lossy so that you can store more on your iPod, right? What size iPod've you got and how much music (ie how many CDs)?

A

Anonymous

Hello, I'd be interested to know also.

I have an 80gig classic whilst the wife has an 8gig nano. At the momment both are set to manual manage tunes. My albums are ticked and hers not. This is just for highlight which is which. If I want album on my machine I first import as lossless the transfer it. I then convert it to 192mp3 for her machine. I delete the lossless version to save hard drive space. Also having the 2 versions of the album intermingled can get confusing. If it's just for my machine I just leave the lossless version.

Doh!! Thinking about it I'd probably be better off deleting the 192mp3 and keeping the lossless. I can always make a new 192mp3.

John Duncan

Which has reminded me to try a suggestion in another thread:

cram:I've ripped in 128 then 256 and am now going to lossless....

Re earlier point about keeping lossy and lossless versions within the same library. There is another alternative albeit on Macs. See linky below, basically a set of apple scripts to convert songs on the fly from lossless to aac when syncing to an ipod. Haven't tried it and would imagine that it would be slow

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=losslessaccworkflow

I may give this a go today.

But yes, keep the lossless.....

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Are you using windows or mac? If windows, go into Control Panel, and Users. Create a new user (I call mine iClassic and iTouch), but make both computer administrator, as one might need to see the files of the other.

To create the lower bitrate (using my example above),

Log in as iTouch, go into itunes, and go to File>Add folder to library. Browse to iClassic's folder, normally under c:documents and settingsiClassiciClassic's documentsmy MusiciTunes.

Allow iTunes to import all the files, then select all of the songs and create an AAC version.

Worked for me...

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
The annoying thing is that Apple have the techology to make this much easier. Witness the downsampling of audio available on the Shuffle. Also HD TV shows purchased from Itunes all come with an SD version. You can then choose which version to watch within Itunes.

Very frustrating as the main other methods of doing this (duplicate songs/libraries) are a pain to maintain and overtime get out of sync.

John Duncan

I have it in as an enhancement request
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Good evening everyone,thanks for the replys.To answer a few of the queries.

Yes i use an imacÿ

I have about 10,000 songs on a 160 gb classicÿthis comprises downloads and some but not all my cd,s.

I have recently realised that my cd,s are redundant,get little pleasure from the cheap and nasty things,and have just sold my player so music now played from mac (just ordered a beresford) some audioengine speakers.Living room is now ipod through apple dock arcam 9 int and power amp and usher speakers .Thanks for the help

Murrayÿ

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I hope I remember this correct.

Hold down shift key
Click on itunes
Hit the enter key

This should give you the option to create another library. You do have to keep altering the rip settings for each library.(as you switch)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts