I ripped all my CDs, now what?

RobJF

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
All my music is now in FLAC format on a NAS server. I listen mainly using headphones via phone/wifi, but I need more sociable options. Probably will go multiroom, can I assume they all do this or are some limited to commercial streaming services? Anything else I should consider? Please explain like I'm stupid!

Gray

Any streamer (worth its salt) will play your FLAC files (and that's when you'll find out how well you tagged the metadata).
Say how much money you've got to blow and the recommendations will be forthcoming.

You need to consider what you're going to stream into.
Depends whether or not you've already got a hi-fi system.
A streamer can be with or without a built-in screen, DAC and power amp (some are 'just add speakers' units).
Or you could have a high quality DAC / amp headphone system......

Reactions: RobJF

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
You will also need some kind of server to help get all your music from the nas to streamer, there are free servers (minim) or subscription based ie plex, I use plex myself when streaming from my nas, it’s only around 4quid per month.

RobJF

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Not sure how much I want to spend but I'm not really an audiophile... put it this way, the reason I ripped to flac was that I could tell the difference from mp3, in a direct comparison, just (probably using Bose QC25s). But really don't want to spend on quality that I won't appreciate.

Maybe I need to do more homework. I was surprised at the dedicated streamer recommendation, what I've been looking at so far integrates that function. But even more surprised that another server is suggested. Now that I think about it, I guess I've unknowingly been using one that's integrated with the NAS. But I do need more functionality, the apps I've tried so far don't seem to have shuffle, would minim/plex give me that? And would the software run on the NAS (Synology), or...?

I've been looking at the Sonos and Audio Pro multiroom offerings, is that a reasonable road to go down, or do I need to supply more info? I have an ancient hifi amp+spkrs but haven't used it in years and not sure if it's worth much now... Wharfedale Dovedale 3 spkrs and Technics SU-Z11 amp.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I think the shuffle feature would be built into the streamer software and not so much the server....I'm pretty sure I couldn't shuffle tracks when I had my Naim superuniti via plex, I now use a primare np5 prisma and am able to shuffle tracks, again using the same plex server...playlists....I think you need to make them up on a dedicated pc and then export them to the nas...although I'm not certain....it's not really my thing.....I use a Synology nas drive myself (ds216j)..it's getting a bit slow loading up these days due to the size of my library....I'm finding myself using the pc running roon networked to my streamer more often...but that's a different topic. Plex should be natively available for your synology nas if it's a few years old or newer..

Gray

I could tell the difference from mp3, in a direct comparison
But really don't want to spend on quality that I won't appreciate.
That tells me that you would appreciate improved quality.
You've done the hard work, make the best of it by optimising the playback of your FLACs.

I should just point out that streamers can also play direct from USB sticks or hard drives via USB sockets (which is what I do).
The control apps / operating systems that streamers use, take care of shuffle play, playlists, search etc.
Here's the one I use to control 2 cheap Raspberry Pi's, one for a hi-fi system, the other for a headphone rig. Really nice (not least because it's free):
That allows wi-fi control from phone, tablet, or laptop.
But if you don't mind a wire link, another way would be to play your files from a laptop via USB DAC to your hi-fi using 'Foobar 2000', which is great (and also free).....

Last edited:

Samd

To be clear the software on your Synology NAS is fine - you do not NEED Plex or anything similar and DS audio app (by Synology) will connect with your NAS - you just need a player

RobJF

Nov 1, 2021
Visit site
Really nice (not least because it's free):
That allows wi-fi control from phone, tablet, or laptop.
But if you don't mind a wire link, another way would be to play your files from a laptop via USB DAC to your hi-fi using 'Foobar 2000', which is great (and also free).....

OK, so what do you think of the Primo, and am I right that by connecting that to my hifi and installing plex on the NAS I'd have a decent complete system?

Thanks for the great info guys! :giggle:

Gray

Also checkout different models of Bluesound Node and CA Evo (amongst others).
Many say a streamer is only as good as its operating system. So you might want to do some research to ensure suitability.
Like I said, I like Volumio, but then I've only tried one other (very similar) OS.

If you Google Volumio Primo you will see reviews from 'AV Forums' and 'Hi-Fi Choice'.
(Couldn't post the links from my phone).

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

A NAS like the one's by Synology supports UPnP.
UPnP is a protocol for streaming audio/video and has strong support.
Almost any todays receiver supports it.
Likewise Volumio will use it.
So all you have to do is to enable this option on your NAS

If you have a Android phone, install Foobar for mobile and you can test the UPnP part

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Roon and a Qobuz subscription, costly yes. Worth every penny for a multiroom system. you won't want to go back! Roon is like purchasing another HiFi appliance, it will encode FLAC to DSD, if your DAC will play DSD, it will blow your mind away!

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
One very important thing is make a back up of everything and keep it on a separate disc/device. I had my musical library fall victim to ransom wear and had to factory reset the NAS and re-rip everything.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
The joy of using a NAS instead of a hifi streaming library device like an Auralic Aries is all the technical learning you have to do every time a bit of firmwear changes and resets everything. An hour ago I would have gladly sold my NAS at a knock down price, now everything is back up and running I am feeling smug again. Don’t ask me what I did, but whatever it was I now can hear glorious music (Al Andaluz Project)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts