i really need some advise on upgrading!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
firstly i would like to say hi as i have only just signed up to this site!

i have a seperates system at the mo that im really not happy with. its a bit dated and id really like some pointers on the weak links to enable me to upgrade a bit at a time. i mainly listen to rnb and dance music and my price range would be about £150-£200 per seperate! my system is as follows......

amp: marantz pm66se

cd: marantz cd63se

tuner: marantz st48

speakers: omni audio sa12.3

any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!!!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
agreed,i thought this practice was a disgrace but thanks to what hi-fi for bringing this to our attention many years ago,it now thankfully seems to be a thing of the past.on to your system,it's not a bad set set up decent speakers will take it up several leagues above what you have.i have just heard the rega 3's quite simply stunning.this was in an all rega system but they really are a lovely little speaker.good luck,gregory.

A

Anonymous

thank you andrew for your advice on the speakers, i shall try and get a demo of both at the weekend. do you think i could do with upgrading the amp as it has no bass, treble adjustment? i was thinking something along the lines of a denon pma 350? any advice would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

thanks gregory for your advice mate, ill try a demo at the weekend! ill ask you the same as iv asked others, do you think an amp upgrade is worth while as mine has no bass, treble adjustment? i was thinking along lines of a denon pma 350? any advice appreciated!

A

Anonymous

While your amp does not have any tone adjustments controls,I can assure you it's fine. Sure, there's always better, but like suggested earlier in the thread, a speaker upgrade shoud be the first thing to consider.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="danzo001"]

firstly i would like to say hi as i have only just signed up to this site!

i have a seperates system at the mo that im really not happy with. its a bit dated and id really like some pointers on the weak links to enable me to upgrade a bit at a time. i mainly listen to rnb and dance music and my price range would be about £150-£200 per seperate! my system is as follows......

amp: marantz pm66se

cd: marantz cd63se

tuner: marantz st48

speakers: omni audio sa12.3

any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!!!

[/quote]

2 things: Firstly -and i'm only assuming here- YOur system is all marantz, apart from the speakers, which i will come to in a second, which tells me you're "playing it safe" in the sense that you're going along the lines of "same manufacturer, compatible sound" right or wrong?

now,those bloody speakers! get rid of em, theyre bonfire fodder! Andrew and the otheres have touched on the subjet, but these "things" not only sound awful, but more often than not they wont have any crossovers built in, so ultimatley, its goodbye amp! and goodbye house, ater youve realised that the smoke pouring fromyour amplifier is caused form these speakers. how are they appearing in the public domaain? guy approaches you in a van, claiming to have a spare pair of speakers on board due to not having them listed on his delivery docket! naturally, he'll offer them to you cheap-or for nothing!

If you were to change anything, i would change your amp for a real belt 'n' braces anp like the naim,, but whatever yoyu do, ditch those speakers first for gawds sake!

A

Anonymous

thanks every1 for your advice, seems i picked up some pretty bad speakers from a guy at work! ill be straight down to sound and vision asap!

been doing some research on the b&w 605 and they seem like my style, bassy and pretty good treble from what iv read, def going to demo these in the next couple of weeks! ill let you all know how i get on!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts