i pod touch

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like to buy an Ipod touch during my next vacation in the US.

The Ipod will be used afterwards mainly in Europe.

Does someone know if there is an issue doing this ?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I bought a touch in the us and have had no problem using it or with software updates

A

Anonymous

thanks robbi.

Which one do you have ?

Is it enough the watch movies ?

A

Anonymous

I bought a 32GB one for $499 from Best Buy - no problems at all as they all charge via USB and the software is a global update.

The price difference (despite the weak dollar) isnt that much really - the one at DIxons in the airport was only about £15 more plus you get a UK warranty...

Regards

Kevin

Sliced Bread

If it helps, I have a 32GB itouch and it currently contains:

2500 photos
600 songs (40% Apple Lossless, rest in 320mbps AAC - Apple lossless is about 3 to 4 time the storage of the AAC. You can know the AAC down to 128mbps if storage is of primary improtance and hold thousands)
5 Movies (several the highest quality video available from vedeora website, the rest at a high but not highest quality quality)
Complete series 3 of Red Dwarf
3 music videos

and I have 15.5GB free so just under half full. you can fit alot more on there too if you cut back on the quslity a bit, but I like the picture to be immaculate. I like to get the best sound I can get too. There players out there with more storage and some with better sound, but none that are such a good alrounder and especially none that are as good with movies, yet still small enough to comfortably put in your pocket.

I hope this helps
John

A

Anonymous

John,

does it make sense to buy an iphone and use it as an ipod ?

Sliced Bread

[quote user="stumpjumper 4600"]
John,

does it make sense to buy an iphone and use it as an ipod ?
[/quote]

I'm no expert I'm afraid, and I have never used an IPhone, although I understand it is essentially the same as the itouch except with some funcionality but reduced storage. If you can live with 16gb of storage and you din't mind the cost then why not. That or wait for the inevitable replacement which is bound to have more storage. Although if it was my money and I was willing to pay for an Iphone, I'd check to see what else I can get for that money. But as I said I'm no expert and I've never used an Iphone. I do love my touch though:O)

A

Anonymous

Careful here. Jobs and his Apple people do not approve of buying iPhones in other regions! I would not recommend buying an iPhone outside of the UK (if you plan on mainly using it in the UK). The iPhone is tied to O2 in the UK (I think it's Vodafone in the US) and you can't legally unlock the iPhone. If you do buy an iPhone in the US, DON'T upgrade the software (updates etc) in the UK.

There are also whispers that a new 3G iPhone is coming out shortly.

John Duncan

[quote user="bigbex"]
Careful here. Jobs and his Apple people do not approve of buying iPhones in other regions! I would not recommend buying an iPhone outside of the UK (if you plan on mainly using it in the UK). The iPhone is tied to O2 in the UK (I think it's Vodafone in the US) and you can't legally unlock the iPhone. If you do buy an iPhone in the US, DON'T upgrade the software (updates etc) in the UK.

There are also whispers that a new 3G iPhone is coming out shortly.

[/quote]

Well firstly, no point in buying a US one to use over here for starters, since it won't work unless you hack it, thus invalidating your warranty and probably locking it next time you update the software. Secondly, you couldn't buy them for love nor money when I was over there a month ago - out of stock in all three Apple Stores I went to. Worldwide shortage (they said).

A

Anonymous

Exactly. I was replying to Stumpjumpers "I would like to buy an Ipod touch during my next vacation in the US" and then talking about buying an iPhone instead.

The worldwide shortage could be down to a new model coming out?

John Duncan

[quote user="bigbex"]The worldwide shortage could be down to a new model coming out?[/quote]

Or could be manufactured to generate demand
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bigbex"]The iPhone is tied to O2 in the UK (I think it's Vodafone in the US) and you can't legally unlock the iPhone.[/quote]

Although O2, and the other providers, don't like it, unlocking a mobile phone is not illegal. Just Google 'unlock iPhone' and you will find many reputable (and some not so reputable) sites willing to assist. One or two of the major players will cover future iPhone software upgrades as part of the initial unlocking charge.

A

Anonymous

While not technically illegal, Apple don't like it and you may not be able to update your iPhone. Apple themselves say that your iPhone will cease to work if you unlock it and then download an update directly from Apple.......there are notices to this effect an all Apple stores.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bigbex"]While not technically illegal, Apple don't like it [/quote]

It's not illegal - technically or otherwise. Apple don't like anything that does not provide them with an income. The iPhone will work perfectly well with upgrades. Apple scare tactics. Having said that, unless you need internet 24/7 then a Touch and a separate phone would make sense.

A

Anonymous

OK, OK. I was just trying to help Stumpjumper make an informed decision. Everywhere I look (web, Apple stores) I see that Apple say that they will 'brick' your iPhone if you unlock it. I wouldn't like to tell someone on this forum that that categorically won't happen, so I have explained that while the iPhone can be unlocked, Apple won't be happy and you may have to stear clear of Apple updates in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts