I may have messed up but some help appreciated please guys

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently (well today) bought a Pioneer VSX-918V-K amp and a pair of Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speakers and personally the sound is dire...there is non of that bass kick in the chest i had with my old Technics SU-600 + MS 10 speaker combo..i know its an av amp but i at least expected some kick and good stereo imagery...have i wired it up wrong? it is very bright sounding and grates on my ears...please help guys as its gonna get a hammer through it .

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Not that I use it for music but my new Yamaha RXV1065 AV amp sounded pretty awful at first - I was ready for this though - and it's improving all the time as it runs in. If you're out (well or in I suppose) tomorrow - just let it play all day and I reckon it'll sound totally different by the end of the day.

How are the speakers supported? It never ceases to amaze me how much difference stable speakers make...

A

Anonymous

When you go to work on Monday, put on a Cd and play all day on repeat. Repeat for a couple of days until the units "burn in". The bass drivers in particular probably need to loosen up a bit.

A

Anonymous

Im now redundant so have...er...some time to waste.....i have noticed that turning up the sound the bass distorts....i know that things have to be run in but just worried that they may be mismatched?....how should the amp be set up to play music etc through front speakers only?....and thanks for quick reply guys.

Shugsi

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for quick reply...speakers on Atacama stands...but unfilled at mo...Im just worried i have partnered them wrong as they sound real bright without that bass hit.

Shugsi

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I used to use Tannoy Mercury and Mercury MX speakers with Denon and
Arcam. If your system sounds bright or harsh, I suspect it's the
Pioneer AV Receiver. It sounds like you prefer a warm or neutral
sound, so I would suggest going for Yamaha or Denon but ultimately you
shouldn't expect miracles from a (budget) AV Receiver for music. What
is the room acoustics like in terms of furnishings, flooring, walls
etc.? If the system sounds grating, I suspect that no amount of
running in will solve this. Tinkering with the room acoustics might
improve things but I suspect it's the simply the wrong combo of
components for your ears. It could also simply be down to the fact
your ears have got used to your old system but demo to be sure.

You mentioned playing the sound through the fronts only, do you have other speakers and a subwoofer? I use 5ch/7ch stereo for music when folks are round but most of the time I use direct. If you're using a subwoofer, obviously check your settings for crossover and so on.

A

Anonymous

d4v3pum4:
I used to use Tannoy Mercury and Mercury MX speakers with Denon andArcam. If your system sounds bright or harsh, I suspect it's thePioneer AV Receiver. It sounds like you prefer a warm or neutralsound, so I would suggest going for Yamaha or Denon but ultimately youshouldn't expect miracles from a (budget) AV Receiver for music. Whatis the room acoustics like in terms of furnishings, flooring, wallsetc.? If the system sounds grating, I suspect that no amount ofrunning in will solve this. Tinkering with the room acoustics mightimprove things but I suspect it's the simply the wrong combo ofcomponents for your ears. It could also simply be down to the factyour ears have got used to your old system but demo to be sure.

You mentioned playing the sound through the fronts only, do you have other speakers and a subwoofer? I use 5ch/7ch stereo for music when folks are round but most of the time I use direct. If you're using a subwoofer, obviously check your settings for crossover and so on.

Just using the fronts for now as a stereo pair that's all i have at present, bought the amp to gradually build up into home cinema system...I have been told that the components will have to be run in but i thought i would have some good sound from the start...been told from the shop where i purchased them that this the amp would be ok with the speakers...looking back i think i should have just went for a dedicated stereo amp..My living room is 11'.5" x 22' long, tv in centre of room with speakers (using QED Classis 79 speaker cable) on stands either side..my pc speaker set up has a better sound...

So to cap on equipment:

Pioneer Vsx-918-V-K amp

Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speakers

Atacama speaker stands

QED Classic 79 strand speaker cable

Toshiba SD190E Dvd player

New Pace standard Sky digibox

A

Anonymous

shugsi:I have recently (well today) bought a Pioneer VSX-918V-K amp and a pair of Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speakers and personally the sound is dire...there is non of that bass kick in the chest i had with my old Technics SU-600 + MS 10 speaker combo..i know its an av amp but i at least expected some kick and good stereo imagery...have i wired it up wrong? it is very bright sounding and grates on my ears...please help guys as its gonna get a hammer through it .
emotion-2.gif

nice thing is that you can buy a similar setup of a Technics SU amp and MS speakers for cheap

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
shugsi:
Im now redundant so have...er...some time to waste.....i have noticed that turning up the sound the bass distorts....i know that things have to be run in but just worried that they may be mismatched?....how should the amp be set up to play music etc through front speakers only?....and thanks for quick reply guys.

Shugsi

Bass shouldnt distort!

Set music to 'stereo' for the 2 channel (And hopefully theres a 'pure' mode or whatever for switching off bass etc controls)

TRENDING THREADS