I may have finally cracked it

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've told you before about my ongoing frustration with peeling boiled eggs.

I have now found that tapping the more pointy end of the egg first and then using the w i d t h of my thumb rather than the tip to peel said seems to make it marginally easier, enabling the shell to come off in larger pieces rather than disintegrating into a million shrapnells.

I let you know if this changes in any way, as you are no doubt all want to know.

drummerman said:
I've told you before about my ongoing frustration with peeling boiled eggs.

I have now found that tapping the more pointy end of the egg first and then using the w i d t h of my thumb rather than the tip to peel said seems to make it marginally easier, enabling the shell to come off in larger pieces rather than disintegrating into a million shrapnells.

I let you know if this changes in any way, as you are no doubt all want to know.

The secret is to let them cool slowly. Instant dowsing in cold water only encourages the shell to contract and make it liable to fragment into said shrapnel, which is already plural...... Ed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanking you all. Some useful tips and I will duly investigate. I particularly like the forehead proceedure but fail to see, at present at least, how it would make it any easier. Still, it should be fun as long as I remember to boil it first.

To add to the problem, I have now a batch of faulty eggs, laid no doubt by faulty hens. The yolk is very close to the surface of the egg instead of centred. This has the added implication that when trying to peel the object there is grave danger of peeling the now very thin skin of the yolk. - Not good.

Is there a particular brand of hen which has a good track record of quality manufacturing?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Having boiled them and poured cold water over them it's a good idea to shake them in the pan of water to smash the shells against each other and the side of the pan. The cold water gets under the shells and helps with peeling when cool.

ifor said:
Having boiled them and poured cold water over them it's a good idea to shake them in the pan of water to smash the shells against each other and the side of the pan. The cold water gets under the shells and helps with peeling when cool.

Lopsided eggs can be rectified by stiring whilst boiling, this centre's the yolk.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
This must be a windup..? No? *fool* So we done good on how to crack an egg, some threads on hifi dn't go pass two responses. But still thanx for info..*biggrin*

Cracking them is easy.

Peeling is another story altogether ...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Native_bon said:
This must be a windup..? No? *fool* So we done good on how to crack an egg, some threads on hifi dn't go pass two responses. But still thanx for info..*biggrin*

Cracking them is easy.

Peeling is another story altogether ...
Yeap, I know them ones. Really frustrating. *diablo* *bomb*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts