I have too much hifi - what do I use, lose?

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
I suddenly have lots of hifi after inheriting a selection of late 1990s separates. At the same time I have rediscovered my own kit from the same era. I'm trying to work out how best to combine the various bits - perhaps adding some one of two new components to bring it up to date cost-effectively. Can anyone help?

I inherited the following:

Arcam 7r Amp

Arcam 7se CD

Mission 782 speakers

Linn Tukan speakers

My own gear:

Kenwood 3020se

Arcam 7 CD

I hooked up my Kenwood and Arcam 7 to the Missions and thought it sounded OK. However, I was surprised how poorly the sound compared to a new Denon D-M37, suggesting that this combination lacks detail, focus and drive. The speakers are easily the most expensive component so ideally I'd keep those. But should I swap the Kenwood for the inherited Arcam amp - or replace the amp with a new one - or buy a new CD player to get the clean, crisp, balanced sound I'm looking for?

I can fund some of this by flogging unwanted Arcam bits on eBay. But whatever I do buy should be the foundation for future upgrades.

I mainly listed to electronic and vocal music. Depth of bass isn't too important. Clarity, detail and rhythm is. I was toying with a Naim amp to start with - but maybe the CD is the first to be replaced?

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Keep: Arcam 7r
Arcam 7se CD
Mission 782

Keep the Linn speakers if you need a spare set for kitchen, bedroom etc

Then sell the rest and use the money to upgrade the CD player when you can!

antcg1

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for the advice. I was a bit worried that swapping the Kenwood for the Arcam might make the whole thing even more rich and bloated sounding as I'd heard the 7r was quite a relaxed, full sounding amp. But you could be right that the step up to the 7r is worth it.

A

Anonymous

Without wanting to sound annoying, why don't you keep the combo you like the sound of?

Keep the Linn Tukans, sell the 782s, one of the CDPs and the 7 amp and get an amp with enough power to make the Linns sing. I think the Naim Nait 5i might suit them quite well with it's speed and grip. If that sounds a bit lively for you then match them with something from the Musical Fidelity line. Lower priced options? Used Rotel RA03 for a smooth sound, used Cyrus 7 or 8 for a bit more sparkle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts