I have set up an Onkyo 605 with my pc/dvd any tips/help on set up greatly appreciated ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI
I have just set up my new Onkyo 605 With a htpc,cable tv and dvd(upscaler)
I would like to get True HD audio but I am aware this is probably not possible at the moment.I wanted to future proof and buy a dedicated player later.

I am using power dvd and the new totalmedia theater trial both of which claim to handle true hd audio through analogue and spdif(although spdif may be downmixed or two chanel.)
I have set the pc up with analogue cables and although very good the volume seems low and the display does not tell me what it is recieving.
I tried hdmi with a radeon 2400 but it gives no audio( getting a hd3850 soon)
I will try coax cable when I get one tomorrow.

Has anyone any tips or experience to share on this ?

cheers.
Bc

nads

Ok if i have this right the ONK. will only take True etc from HDMI Also if i get it corrcet True is only available on HD DVD/BR discs or from some other stored HD source.

A

Anonymous

Yes you are right, but you can get uncompressed audio via analogue signal.

The pc I am using is able to play BD-Rom and HD dvd and I have managed to get true hd via hdmi from the motherboard but only 2 chanel and the dolby soundtrack sounds better.

nads

[quote user="briinthesky"]
Yes you are right, but you can get uncompressed audio via analogue signal.

The pc I am using is able to play BD-Rom and HD dvd and I have managed to get true hd via hdmi from the motherboard but only 2 chanel and the dolby soundtrack sounds better.
[/quote]Ok but the uncompressed audio via analogue that has to be from the 6 analogue outputs from a disc player, does your sound card have the 6 analogue outs? if not then it has to be HDMI if i have understood the manual (ok i was only reading it for comparison to the 805 before purchase but they had the same requirements for true HD sound etc..

A

Anonymous

Yes my soundcard has the 6 analogue outputs, it also has an optical and coax out (going to try the coax today)

I think unless someone brings out a proper 1.3a hdmi card for the pc we will be limited

On a tangent what volume level do you need when watching normal tv just to compare ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts