I have an Onkyo CR725DAB, is there anyway i can connect a Turntable directly to it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was just wondering on this as i got a vinyl as a gift recently and played it on my dad's vinyl player and it sounded very nice. The onkyo 725DAB (micro system) has quite a few connections on the back so just wondered as i may purchase a turntable for myself....

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Oh right do i actually need a phono amp like that or is it just for an improvement?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Yep, you'll definitely need a phono pre-amp as the Onkyo only has line level inputs by the looks of it. What set up does your dad have - I'm not familiar with the Onkyo system you have but if you were to keep the outlay on a turntable and phono amp in perspective, then even going down the second-hand route might disappoint... how much did you have in mind to spend?

A

Anonymous

My dad has a seperates system, most of it being marantz and its a fair few years old.

I wasn't looking to spend much at all. £100 max, the less i spend the better without trying to comprimise quality. I don't really want to spend much is becuase the majority of playing will be from cd's.

2nd hand wise i should be able to get more for my money, and if i can i wanted to match the brand too.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I think a Pro-ject Debut III might be the way to go - it has a built in pre-amp and a quick search on flea-bay shows a few going for under your £100 limit. I suspect it and the Onkyo won't match what your dad's system is delivering, but if you're prepared to take a bit of a gamble you might just be pleasantly surprised...

Other options to look at would be Pro-ject, NAD, and CA (Cambridge Audio) pre-amps but they will take up nearly half your budget which then limits your options on the turntable (Debut II an obvious choice).

I got into vinyl with a Pro-ject Dubut I a couple of years ago - a deck that is universally derided as being as "budget" as you can get, but it gave me enough insight of the format to get the vinyl bug - as I imagine hearing your dad's system has for you.

A

Anonymous

richardw42:
Rotal RP855 was quite a good budget deck in its day. This one went for well under 100 on ebay.

The biggest cheapest upgrade for this deck ? Change the rubber mat for a felt one. Like a diff machine

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rotel-RP-855-Turntable-nice-condition-/110550375568?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item19bd50dc90

Should be able to get a used Nad PP amp for around £20

So you might be able to do it for £100. Be a bit tight though.

Ok thanks!

A

Anonymous

margetti:
I think a Pro-ject Debut III might be the way to go - it has a built in pre-amp and a quick search on flea-bay shows a few going for under your £100 limit. I suspect it and the Onkyo won't match what your dad's system is delivering, but if you're prepared to take a bit of a gamble you might just be pleasantly surprised...

Other options to look at would be Pro-ject, NAD, and CA (Cambridge Audio) pre-amps but they will take up nearly half your budget which then limits your options on the turntable (Debut II an obvious choice).

I got into vinyl with a Pro-ject Dubut I a couple of years ago - a deck that is universally derided as being as "budget" as you can get, but it gave me enough insight of the format to get the vinyl bug - as I imagine hearing your dad's system has for you.

Yeah my dad's system does sound very nice and he doesn't even have the best of speakers to pair with it, they are sony [pair but as well now there are far better brands for audio, although sony are still very respectable. I think his amp and turntable both being marantz help it along very well.

It's funny how a modern day album (vinyl version) that i played on it sounded almost vintage and a pleasue to listen to. No doubt i love the set up i have at the moment and it does have its benefits, such as stronger bass and more clarity, but that vinyl sounded very enjoyable and different (in a good way) on my dad's set up ;)

I will look into the Pro-ject Debut III.

Thanks for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts