I gave in...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
And moved the Nad C542 back from the bedroom system to the livingroom.

why?

Because its the only way i'll ever get to listen to music with out the girlfriend rolling her eyes and complaining when i so much as suggest it. So the system of preference is now C542, Onkyo 505 Kef 1005's. She thinks i should go back to c542, c320bee and pro-acs as the naim's are dull, lifeless and flat (I don't think so) . :'(

Is there anything i can do to the Naim cd5i, nait 5i, pro-ac tab ref 8 sig combo to give it the warmth* the nad seems to have with out loosing the improved detail, clarity, timing etc i like about the Naim... Short of trading in the naim kit or the girlfriend the only way i'll get to listen to music as i want to is to tell her to not come over so much.

And before any one mentions compromise, thats why i'm sitting with a hifi i never get to listen to (among other things).

*after listening to them back to back, this is the best way i can describe it.

A

Anonymous

speaker cable yes, but these were used before aswell.

what would you suggest instead?

I think the shop used atlas hyper 2 or odyssey 4 or something when i demo'd the stuff.

A

Anonymous

VDH and Chord will make a big difference over the QED, I use the Odyssey 2 with a 5i and I'm really happy with it. I used to have some QED for a while, I will never look back now though. Did you notice the difference when you got the system home and used the QED?

A

Anonymous

Depending on the level of warmth you're looking for, I'd buy a sub. I bought the SA1s (and auditioned the Proacs) with the aim of adding a sub from the start. The extra extension will give you a less lean midrange and plenty of bottom end. The extension will make it sound less bright due to the balance. If you get something decent, i.e. not a REL Quake, then you'll get good timing and speed too. You'll never look back, trust me. Alternatively, get some floor standers!

A

Anonymous

To be honest given i had to wait 2 weeks for the kit to arrive, and moved house in the mean time i had other things on my mind than remembering the sound in the shop, I just knew i was really impressed when i plugged everything in at mine.

I think i'll see if the dealer will loan me the cable they used in the demo to see if that makes a difference. Maybe even just putting the cheap Gale cable i have kicking about may make a difference in teh mean time.

Igglebert - I'm not sure 2 subs in the room would suit even me! also how would that work given the nait has no pre-outs? I did think of floor standers, but that's just spending more money and I have other toys to buy for. :)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the ProAc Tab Ref 8s and they certainly don't lack warmth. They do lack ultimate bass extension as they are very small speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Joel,

I don't have any problem with them or any of my set up, but after mentioning some months back that the girlfriend doesn't like the sound it's gotten to the stage where if i don't change something then i'll never get to listen to my system!

warmth may not have been 100% the right word, maybe richness.

Ed

A

Anonymous

Fast Eddie... To be honest it does begin to sound like it is the 'character' of the Naim equipment that you are not getting on with.

Perhaps you could try a different combination of amp & speakers to help isolate some of the equipment?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
ÿIt does seem like you are not getting along with Naim.

ÿI've heard the Proac's with Rega gears and they sounded amazing.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Can you afford to change out any of the components at the moment?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi batonwielder, Vickershifi,

I'll give it ago sticking my old amp in for the time being, but it's not really a long term solution as i don't want to have the new amp sitting redundant. Different speaker cable is a possibility though.

As for selling the Naim and getting something else... I see no point since I'm perfectly happy with the sound. I'm just looking to make that sound more acceptable to the girlfriend so i don't have to choose between seeing her and listening to music!

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Ed

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Jan Hibma:Maybe she just needs to get used to the sound?

The age old burn in question, if it apllies to cables, how many hours does it take for a girlfriend to burn in?

Have you tried experimenting with the speaker positioning, toe in etc?

A

Anonymous

gwynne61:
Jan Hibma:Maybe she just needs to get used to the sound?

The age old burn in question, if it apllies to cables, how many hours does it take for a girlfriend to burn in?

Have you tried experimenting with the speaker positioning, toe in etc?

i tried toe in when i set them up, but went for what i thought best... she wouldn't even come to the demo to hear them so its really her own fault.

Have changed the cable to gale 400 that i had in the bedroom and i think its helped... actually i think it may sound better but i'll never tell her that!

as for Girlfriend burn in, probably slightly longer than it takes me to burn out.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Better to burn out than fade away..

I use Van Damme 4.0mm studio grade speaker cable, without wishing to start a cable debate it's reasonably cheap, gives great bass on my system and is detailed. May be worth a thought.

A

Anonymous

Does any one else have the problem of s/o's complaining about their system, but with out wanting to contribute (opinions) when it comes to buying it?

surely if you don't take your chance at the start you shouldn't get to complain afterwards?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts