I bet your hi fi sounds better this evening...

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
OK humour me here. I bet if you live in England, especially in the South, your hi fi sounds a bit better tonight than is has of late?

Why?

It's poured down with rain today, your house's earth has had a good soaking and is conducting better thus improving your mains and thus sound quality.

... right I'm going to hide behind the sofa.

A

Anonymous

Household domestic appliances are designed to operate with a specific level of electrical input, if your mains is now outputting more than that then i suggest coming out from behind the sofa and unplugging them all in case a fire breaks out after one of them short circuits.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Dunno about tonight especially, but my HiFi usually does sound better in the evenings.

I put it down to less ambient noise from traffic and other sounds, so the air is more still.

Other than that guess, I can't explain it.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Dunno about tonight especially, but my HiFi usually does sound better in the evenings.

I put it down to less ambient noise from traffic and other sounds, so the air is more still.

+ Red wine

roger06 said:
OK humour me here. I bet if you live in England, especially in the South, your hi fi sounds a bit better tonight than is has of late?

Why?

It's poured down with rain today, your house's earth has had a good soaking and is conducting better thus improving your mains and thus sound quality.

... right I'm going to hide behind the sofa.

We don't need rain...
smiley-wink.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That's why my hifi sounds so good all the time. There has to be some compensation for the constant rain we have in Ireland! :help:

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
That's why my hifi sounds so good all the time. There has to be some compensation for the constant rain we have in Ireland! :help:

LOL! :D

I must have been lucky as the only time I've been to Ireland it was ice and dry...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
MajorFubar said:

+ Red wine
lolol yeah that always helps :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
roger06 said:
CnoEvil said:

LOL! :D

I must have been lucky as the only time I've been to Ireland it was ice and dry...

...then you were probably further south in Cork/Kerry. We suck our weather over from Scotland and then add a little more rain, just for good measure!

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Maybe get a decent set of headphones ... the music will be great all of the time.... whether raining or not. :rant:

Well there's 40 to choose from in the latest edition of the mag ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
roger06 said:

If you live in some remote country location, it's possible your house may have a TT supply, which means you'll have an earth rod stuck in the ground in the field behind your thatched cottage - when wet, that will work better. For the rest of us in the real world though, the earth goes back to the sub-station, and wet doesn't make the slightest bit of difference (other electricians feel free to wade in here...)

Si Conaugt

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I think my hifi is affected by atmospheric conditions but I put it down to other factors like whether I have windows, doors and curtains open, music I'm listening to being influenced by the weather, mood influenced by weather and (any scientists are welcome to tell me I'm being foolish) air density.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
wireman said:
roger06 said:

If you live in some remote country location, it's possible your house may have a TT supply, which means you'll have an earth rod stuck in the ground in the field behind your thatched cottage - when wet, that will work better. For the rest of us in the real world though, the earth goes back to the sub-station, and wet doesn't make the slightest bit of difference (other electricians feel free to wade in here...)

When you say "real world" do you mean over crowded , noisy , polluted and generally unpleasant towns and cities ? Think I'll stick to my unreal world .

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
When you say "real world" do you mean over crowded , noisy , polluted and generally unpleasant towns and cities ?

No, I really meant anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of civilisation. Apart from extremely old houses which haven't yet been updated, TT systems with their separate earth rod are usually associated with houses/farms that have overhead power lines that fail in high winds, septic tanks for drainage, and LPG bottled gas because they're too far from normality to justify digging a trench and connecting properly by pipe. Even moderately remote houses nowadays have the 'normal' method of earth connection which involves either a separate earth wire running back to the sub-station, or the combined neutral/earth method - probably even in Shropshire!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
wireman said:
shropshire lad said:
When you say "real world" do you mean over crowded , noisy , polluted and generally unpleasant towns and cities ?

No, I really meant anyone who lives within a reasonable distance of civilisation. Apart from extremely old houses which haven't yet been updated, TT systems with their separate earth rod are usually associated with houses/farms that have overhead power lines that fail in high winds, septic tanks for drainage, and LPG bottled gas because they're too far from normality to justify digging a trench and connecting properly by pipe. Even moderately remote houses nowadays have the 'normal' method of earth connection which involves either a separate earth wire running back to the sub-station, or the combined neutral/earth method - probably even in Shropshire!

Right , let's start again . What is "electricity " ? We still use oil lamps for lighting round here , what do you use ?

I know you are explaining some technical reason why your HIFI may or may not sound better after a rain storm but using words like "real world" , "civilisation" and "normality" in context with people who live in the country is slightly derogatory as it implies that if they don't live in a town or city they are uncivilised , abnormal and not living in the real world . This , as many people have told me , does apply to me but I know lots of people in the country who have learnt how to use a knife and fork !

Nick

T

the record spot

Given that this was a joke thread, lobbed in with possibly dubious intent, why add fuel to the fire?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
Given that this was a joke thread, lobbed in with possibly dubious intent, why add fuel to the fire?

A general observation of the forum at the moment suggests that in amongst the genuinely helpful & interesting threads, there is a growing tendency for trolling and setting out to wind up other members along with cheap point scoring. It's getting distasteful.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I think some are reading too much into my use of colloquialisms - I have lived in an old farmers cottage in the middle of a field many miles north of Aberdeen (with overhead power lines and an earthing rod, a septic tank, and only a wood burning stove for heat), to modern city apartments, and a town house in Brighton amongst many, many other types of homes and locations and all with different electrical/service systems... I even lived in a caravan on a campsite for a while with no electricity at all! There's absolutely no offence intended.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
the record spot said:

A general observation of the forum at the moment suggests that in amongst the genuinely helpful & interesting threads, there is a growing tendency for trolling and setting out to wind up other members along with cheap point scoring. It's getting distasteful.
I'LL second that.Well said Lee.Agree R Spot

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I've always thought my system sounds much better in the evening due to some of the reasons mentioned - less appliances being used, etc.

Having said that, you can usually get the same "night performance" from a dedicated mains solution that you use all the time - i.e. mains filter and proper shielded mains cables :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts